» five

My heart about stopped at the sound of Jack's groggy voice to my right. I watched in complete horror as Vance's head whipped around to see him - watched with an aching heart as his eyes suddenly lit up.

"Jack, go back to your room," I said immediately, barely able to keep my voice steady.

My veins were ice, and yet my entire body was on fire. Something slithered inside of me, wrapped its arms around my heart, caging it in fear.

When I looked at Jack, he was frowning, eyes switching back and forth between me and his father.

No.

Vance wasn't his father. He was a stranger. And he would stay that way.

"Hello, Jack," Vance said, stepping away from me to approach a sleepy, confused looking Jack.

I was quick to grab his arm, but he was quicker in pinning me back to the counter. He gave me a searing look.

"He's my son. I won't hurt him."

I scowled. "He's not your son. And if you take one step clo-"

"What'll you do?" Vance said, smirking.

My resolve crumbled. "Please," I begged, on the verge of tears. "I love him. He's all I have. Please."

Vance frowned at me, lifting his hand to caress my cheek. "He's my son."

I tilted my face away from him, and his hand dropped. My gaze came to rest back on Jack, oblivious of our conversation as he yawned and rubbed at his eyes.

He caught me looking at him, my eyes welled up with tears, and the look in his eyes shifted from tired to concerned.

Vance didn't miss the skeptical look Jack gave him. "Your mom is just a little tired today," he reassured, taking a step towards him. "How about we let her go to bed while we talk?"

My heart skipped a beat and a ragged breath tore itself from my throat.

Oh, God.

Jack frowned, then, crossing his arms over his chest in an effort to seem intimidating. The look was so similar to his own father's that it almost knocked the breath out of me.

"Who are you? Why did you hurt mom?"

Under any other circumstance, I might've been proud. But this was Vance, who's anger was wild and unpredictable and scary.

But when I looked at him, all I could gauge from his reaction was surprise. For a fleeting moment, I could've sworn a flicker of pride flashed through his eyes.

Vance approached Jack slowly, and with each step he took closer, the louder my heart thundered inside my chest. "I would never hurt her," he said quietly.

Jack's gaze switched over to me, taking in my tear stained cheeks before returning to his father. "Then why is she crying?"

"Your mom is tired," he repeated, crouching down to Jacks' height and leaning in as if about to tell him a secret. "She's emotional. She cries when she's happy too."

Jacks's expression mirrored the surprise I felt. Except he didn't understand it like I did. I hated the way Vance remembered that - remembered so many things, all important and unimportant.

"How do you know?" Jack asked suspiciously.

"Because she's my wife."

My heart about stopped.

"No," Jack protested vehemently, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion and the beginning of anger. "My mom is not married. I don't have a dad."

Vance opened his mouth to speak but I was quicker. "I think that's enough," I said, composing myself.