Chapter 10: Unknown

While driving back to my house, I look over at Jenn.

"Why was everyone just looking at us?" I ask.

"Sorry," Jenn says. "I never told you this because I thought it would ruin our relationship."

"Told me what?!?" I reply.

"There has been this rumor going around." Jenn says. "This rumor was started by my step mom. She said that I wasn't a good person. She said, even around my 'friends' that I would do dumb things with random people."

She is telling me this stuff while slowly starting to cry. She goes on telling me about the things that were going on before she went to live with her dad full time. And she breaks down crying. Tears in a constant flow down her cheeks.

I pull over to the side of the road and lean over and comfort her. I hold her as tight as I can, and just keep holding her.

"Baby," I say trying not to cry myself. "You aren't the person your step mom says you are. You are much much more than that. You are the best person I know, as well as the prettiest."

"No," Jenn says. "I'm not. I'm worthless and don't deserve to be happy."

"Yes," I reply. "You do deserve to be happy. You don't need to be anything but happy. I love you babe."

I keep holding her and rubbing her back. And I pull up her sleeve a bit and notice deep cuts in her arm. I keep looking and notice more and more recent ones. 

I push back, "Babe, you've been cutting. Why were you doing that? I know this world is hard to deal with. But don't rely on cutting to deal with the pain."

"It is the only way I know how to deal with the pain." Jenn replies.

"I know you don't feel like the world has purpose for you." I say. "But baby never cut. You aren't alone, and you do have people that care about you. Your dad, my dad, me. Can you just promise me you won't ever cut?"

"Yeah I promise." Jenn replies.