𝘿𝙍𝙄𝙁𝙏𝙈𝘼𝙍𝙆 (𝙋𝙩.𝙄)

═══ Chapter Two ═══

ᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔᚔ

Alyssa stood between her mother and father as they all attended the funeral of Laena Velaryon. She couldn't claim to have known her personally but she still wanted to pay her respects. The Velaryon woman was said to be beautiful and smart and died out of her own will from the flames of her dragon Vhagar, after complications during the birth of her third child.

Before they gave Laenas coffin over to the sea,Vaemond Velaryon came forward and gave a speech:

We join today at the Seat of the Sea to commit the Lady Laena of House Velaryon to the eternal waters, the dominion of the Merling King, where he will guard her for all the days to come. As she sets to sea for her final voyage, the Lady Laena leaves behind two trueborn daughters on the shore. Though their mother will not return from her voyage, they will all remain bound together by blood.

Then, he suddenly turned his gaze to Rhaenyra, Jacaerys and Lucerys as he continued.

Salt courses through Velaryon blood. Ours runs thick. Ours runs true. And ours must never thin".

Of course, everyone quickly understood what he meant by that. Alyssa glared at Vaemond. How could he bring unfounded rumours into the funeral of his own niece?

A few moments of silence followed, in which all that were attending the ceremony stared at Rhaenyra and her sons. Finally, a chuckle from Daemon drew their attention away. Alyssa looked at Lucerys and gave him a sympathetic smile. She didn't care if he was a bastard and payed no mind to the rumours, contrary to her mother and brothers.

Meanwhile, Vaemond continued his speech.

My gentle niece. May the winds be as strong as your back, your seas as calm as your spirit and your nets be as full as your heart. From the sea we came. To the sea we shall return.

Everyone watched in silence as Lady Laena joined the other fallen Velaryons in the sea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once the ceremony was over, Alyssa went to Baela and Rhaena, who both stood a bit to the side. She did her best to comfort them, but since she didn't know her cousins very well, there was little she could say or do to help them in their grief.

After a few rather awkward minutes of silence, Alyssa noticed Lucerys standing nearby and looking at the horizon.

She quickly excused herself from her cousins and walked over to him.