ANYA.

"God, she was ridiculous!" Ezra squeed, giddy - and at this point - clearly lovesick. It took everything in me to hold back a groan. For the love of god. We were almost halfway through the matches and this person was still raving about Imai. It horrified me to think about the fact that I could ever end up like them someday.
Fat chance. Love is not for me.
I looked at the scoreboard again, anticipation rising as I realised my match with Van Halen was approaching. As much as I hated him I knew he was a formidable opponent. But if I as a Knight ranked Dark magic user kicked his ass....

He would be incredibly humiliated.

I smiled. I wanted to see him cry. But if I wanted to do that, I had to be smart. I knew he was someone with incredible magic potential. Judging by his rapier, he likely wasn't a close quarters fighter but also not someone who completely relied on range. Since he's considered golden boy I wouldn't be surprised if his fighting style was graceful and commanding, and his familiar being a bird like mine implied he didn't mind taking to the skies. Still though, he didn't seem like the type to rush in without any defence, and he didn't have a shield. That implied to me at the very least that some of what his magic would be used for was self preservation of some kind, perhaps healing or defence. But given his organised nature I'm sure that wasn't the only use. I'll just guess that ranged projectiles are apart of it, maybe Noelle would be his additional eyes and if that was the case I should probab-
"Would you look at that. Guess its my turn." Ezra's words interrupted my thoughts. I returned to reality to see them smiling confidently as they got up, Amity wrapping herself around their neck. I nodded, Zaid croaking with encouragement.
"Wish me luck."
"Break a leg."

As Ezra walked up to the stage I approached the back of the area, deciding now might be the best time to begin to prepare for my match. After my nonbinary friend it would be one more battle and then my turn. I looked onward to the fight, getting a better view from where I stood. I watched as Ezra walked up to the stage, Amity sliding down from their neck to their shoulders as they did. If I remember correctly, their opponent was Dunkin Hastings, a Rook student, something that already told me Ezra should be prepared to lose. But even as this information was announced they looked surprisingly confident and relaxed, their hands reaching into their pockets to unfurl countless smaller bottles. Their enemy looked confused by such actions, raising his eyebrow almost mockingly.

"What do you think a few drops of water are going to do? You really are an idiot." He scoffed, readying his axe. His pony familiar morphed into a larger horse, neighing with ferocity as it shielded it's master.

Ezra laughed, not even the slightest bit concerned. It baffled me. How were they not worried? The enemy they were facing were two whole ranks above them. I could almost feel his powerful energy from back where I stood.
"Water, Huh? You wish."
They tossed a jar to the ground, and it exploded into smoke, a mist that completely sealed the battlefield. The audience around muttered in confusion, not sure what was happening.
"Huh.."
"What is it?" I stared at Zaid, wondering if he knew something I didn't. He looked back at me, beady black eyes shining with realisation.
"Ezra's usage of magic is...the least conventional I've seen. But seeing her familiar, to me at least it seems glaringly obvious in hindsight."
The dust cleared, horse lying on the ground unconscious. Dunkin appeared to be bound by Amity's thick, scaly coils, writhing and shaking with anger. He was covered in yellow liquid, preventing him from using his powers any further. Ezra grinned, signalling to Amity to return to them, the snake rushing to them in such speed that it caused Dunkin to fall to his knees.
"Ezra Maxine. Dark Sorceress."
Dunkin shook with fury, still weak on the ground.
"Damn you!"
They giggled, Amity draping around their shoulder like a scarf as they did. I couldn't help but be surprised at this sudden turn of events, but within seconds I realised why it was so. I grinned, eyes meeting Zaid again with the same realisation he had.

"Toxicology magic. Should've seen that coming."

As Ezra walked off the stage in satisfaction Dunkin cursed them, grovelling on the floor in a desperate attempt to get the last laugh.

"I kill you!" He chortled, only receiving laughs from the audience. Ezra continued to walk off, but I could tell from the tone in their voice that they were smiling to themself as they imparted some final words to him.

"Who's the weak one now?"

I chuckled to myself. Ezra Maxine.

You're stronger then I gave you credit for.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————

"Just as I expected."

I spun around at the sound of an all but familiar voice. Mr Diaz was standing at the entrance of the wings, interrupting Zaid and I's strategy talk. My eyebrows furrowed, pointing to my still-furry ears on my head. He laughed, flicking his finger and causing them to vanish.
"Sorry. I was going to remove them after our first lesson, but you stormed out before I could."
I frowned, crossing my arms.
"Well whatever. Why are you here anyway?" I grumbled, looking down to the floor.
"I thought you'd give anything to get rid of me. Seems ineffective to approach me directly before my match."

My teacher guffawed at that, clearly amused by my statement. My eyes spun to meet his in a mix of surprise and frustration.
"Me? Hate you? Of course not. You're one of the most entertaining students I've had in years. Besides.." He flashed me a smile, sincere and supportive messages shining through his green irises.
"You and I both know you're one of the strongest kids too. So I just wanted to wish you and your companion good luck." He bowed diplomatically, flashing me a wink and a wave before walking off.

"Blow them out the water, Anya. Show them what you learned in class today. You're representing my entire status as a teacher, so you better make me look good!"

My cheeks flushed, rolling my eyes, unable to hide the grin on my face at his words. "You can count on that!"

As he left the area and I could hear the match going on reach it's conclusion, I took a deep breath. Zaid eyed me curiously, causing me to interrogate what his deal was.
"Oh. It's just...." He trailed off, his face warm. "I've never seen you smile like that before."
"Well, don't get used to it." I said, but my tone betrayed my words. I walked up the steps, familial on my shoulder, waiting for my name to be called.

Time to kick that uptight prince's ass.