It's Been a While Chapter 6

Kristen's POV

__________

"Um..." I say trying to stall.

"Kristen, its ok you don't have to." Emma says.

I take a deep breath, "It's fine, it's not a big deal. He should know."

Louis and the rest of the boys had confused and worried looks on their faces.

"My mum has cancer." I say. "She's always in the hospital..."

"It's ok, babe. It'll be ok." Zayn says, draping an arm around my shoulder sliding me closer to him. As soon as his arm touched me, tingles erupted across my skin. I rested my head on his chest, loving the way I fit into his body.

"What? Mrs. Hadley? When?" Louis asked, grief overcoming his facial features.

This had been quite an emotional day, hasn't it?

"She first started going to the hospital for treatments two years ago." I say, trying to control the emotion in my voice. No such luck.

Zayn started rubbing my arm. Sliding his hand against my skin. Oh, dear lord. This boy is going to drive me crazy.

"I'm so sorry. I wish I had known." Louis says, looking down at his lap.

"It's ok, Louis." I say, giving him a small smile. "I'm going to visit her tomorrow. I try to visit her in the hospital at least once a week."

"I'll go, too." Emma says.

"No. I'm fine. You should stay here and catch up with your brother." I say, not wanting her to miss out on Louis anymore than she already has.

"I'm coming! I haven't seen Mrs. Hadley in forever. We are all going to the hospital tomorrow! And that is final." Louis declares.

I sigh in defeat and I notice I'm still leaning against Zayn. His arm was still around me and he didn't try to move away.

The rest of the boys nodded in agreement and I smiled in gratitude.

My mum has been needing to go to the hospital more and more often. And that scared me. What if she wasn't going to get better? What if- I need to stop thinking like that. Everything will be fine. Hopefully. When ever I go to the hospital to visit my mum, I sit in a chair next to her bed and hold her hand. I talk to her about everything that's going on in my life. Whether she's awake or not.

The doctors tell me whatever news they have. Sometimes she'll start to get a little better, but then her health quickly decreases. And her state gets worse.

I didn't notice I was silently crying, until I felt Zayn's thumb wipe away a stray tear.

I wiped my face, trying to stop the puffy face that was sure to follow my crying scene.

"I'm sorry about your mum." Liam says, breaking the silence.

Niall nods and Harry says, "We're all sorry."

I didn't want everyone to keep staring at me. And I didn't want anyone's pity. I think my mum will be happy to see Louis. It might help her. Who knows?

I untangle myself from Zayn's arms and get up from the couch. "Where's the bathroom?" I ask.

Louis looks offended. "You just got the best tour in the world! How could you forget where the bathroom is!?" He says in disbelief.

I shrug, loving the way he made a big deal out of all this.

He sighs. "It's the first door on your right when you leave this room." Louis says, sitting back down on the sofa next to Liam.

"I will be back!" I yell, trying to bring back the silly, playful mood. I walked out of the lounge, leaving the group of crazy people I was begining to call my friends.

*****

Zayn's POV

__________

As soon as Kristen got up, the room was quiet, everyone lost in their own thoughts. I felt someone looking at me and I turned my head to the right to see Harry glaring at me.

What was wrong with him?

I was just comforting her. She looked like she needed someone. I was only being nice. Right?

Yes. Yes. I already have a girlfriend. She was coming to visit in a few days. I have a girlfriend.

Kristen walked into the room, looking like her normal, happy self. She had a bright smile on her face. Her straight, brown fell around her shoulders and reached mid back.

I guess she was ready to move on from the subject of her mum's cancer. I couldn't blame her.

She sat down in her previous spot.

"I want to watch a movie! Everyone ok with that?" Liam asks.

"Ok, what movie?" Kristen asks.

"Liam, I do not want to watch 'Toy Story' again!" Niall yells.

Liam pouts then says, "Fine. Fine. Then we could watch 'Toy Story 3'!!

For being the mature one around here, he sure loves himself some Disney movies.

"If it makes you happy." I say.

At this Liam hops up and sticks the DVD into the DVD player. He hands out snacks that were in the lounge room. He dims the lights and sits back down next to Louis. What can I say? That guy has experience.