xi

I tried to wrap my head around what had happened earlier at Mrs

I tried to wrap my head around what had happened earlier at Mrs. Jeffrey's prayer service. Blaze had asked me out to the movies, and I'd accepted, but was I ready? I wondered if I'd made a mistake in saying yes, for I knew that I was still very much hurting after estrangement from my husband, Alex, or so I thought.

Was it fair to Blaze—me going out with him while I was still hurting over someone else? I'd agreed to go simply because I decided it was time I put my life together again. I must admit, though, that there was something about him that made me say yes, and which I couldn't quite put a finger on. Perhaps it was his gentle eyes or optimistic spirit that must have done it! Or maybe it was because of my one-time infatuation with him. Still, that was years ago, and for all I knew, I might never feel that way again. So, therefore, was I leading him on by agreeing to go out with him? Did he have any expectations or did he see it as perhaps just two people going to a movie? Maybe it was nothing, after all, and I was overreacting. I wished I could talk to someone about it. Maybe I should have decided after first seeing the counselor, Miss. Thompson.

Ma's voice broke me out of my thoughts. "Adelaide, Blaze is here for you." She was standing right outside my door.

"I'm coming," I said, exiting the room and silently following her down the stairs.

"I'm glad you're finally getting out, and Blaze is such a nice guy." Ma sounded genuinely happy for me.

I felt my lips curve up slightly at the thought of her being happy about me finally deciding to go out. Descending the stairs, the sound of chit-chatter and soft laughter greeted me. Pa and Blaze who had been chatting and laughing over something, looked up as I entered. Pa's eyes smiled happily. "I was just telling Blaze that I wish I was young like you two to go out in rainy weather like this."

Blaze smiled and his gentle eyes brushed over me before finally locking with my eyes. "You look—beautiful," he said. His jet-black hair seemed blacker, and his face looked like an angelic dark prince.

I tore my eyes away from his and turned to look at Pa who began speaking.

"The weather reporter said there's going to be a slight tropical depression tonight and tomorrow. Once you make it back before 11:30 p.m. you two should be okay," Pa said.