xiv

I was thankful for the marvel of air conditioning on a hot day like today, a stark contrast to last night's dank weather. Still, most of the way to Constance, the scorching sun shone through the slightly tinted glass on Blaze's pickup, stinging my jean-clad thighs and bare arms. I had no choice but to bear it out, and so, almost thirty-five minutes after we set off, a silent street and house greeted us the vehicle's engine switched to idle.

I turned to Blaze, seeing his warm smile and soothing eyes. "Thank you for everything," I said, my hands instinctively holding onto the door handle.

"My pleasure," he replied, his smile broadening.

I disembarked and shut the door as the side window rolled down suddenly. The afternoon breeze picked up, whipping my hair into a frenzy, as suddenly, movement at our kitchen window alerted me that perhaps Ma or Pa was aware of my return.

Blaze reminded me of his still-standing offer. "So, studying at my place later?" he asked, steering my focus back to him.

Oh! I should definitely get a head start on my studying. But did I really want to go to Blaze's place? What would my parents think? Would I be giving them, and Blaze, false hopes for whatever they might think our relationship was? I suddenly felt awkward recalling his remark on my earlier ventings. Still, my mouth moved of its own accord and I found myself agreeing. "Yes," I replied, looking up at him.

"Great!" he said, "See you later!" He smiled broadly, popping his horn as he drove off.

I stared after his receding vehicle, wondering what I'd just gotten myself into. I was really doing this—going to his place to study! As I reflected, my thoughts were a silent tug of war between being unheard and warmly considered. Unheard because of his passive response and comment that I'd been venting. Well, no more venting for me!

Ma and Pa emerged from inside and stood on the front porch, and by their expressions I deduced they were eagerly awaiting my return. Still, they barely said more than asking about our night supposedly staying at Blaze's aunt's house.

"No. His aunt wasn't there," I replied.

Ma and Pa stared at me. After a while, Ma asked. "So where did you two sleep?"

I anticipated her question. "In Blaze's van," I replied.

"Well, at least you were both safe," Pa said.

Ma appeared to forget the issue and led the way inside. "Well, come eat! I'm sure you must be starving!" she said.

"I've already eaten," I replied after reaching the dining room, right behind Pa.

"You have?" Ma spun around to look at me.

"Blaze took me to a restaurant in Granville. Think it's called Aaron's," I said. "The officer from last night told us that the road would not be passable until the afternoon, so we decided to have breakfast, and I'm still full."

"Oh!" Ma said, nodding, as she began wiping the wetness off the plates before placing them on the dining table. The once displeasing expression I'd seen on my return home—the sadness in her eyes—had magically transformed into a delightful grin, and her spirit and mood were lifted. Thank heavens!

"Great thinking on Blaze's part," Pa said, looking up from his place at the head of the dinner table. "Though, I'm not surprised. He seems like quite a level-headed guy. Always have! I'm surprised he's still single."

"Oh, yes! I thought he and this girl—what's her name? Oh! I can't remember it now!" Ma said, sitting down in the chair adjacent to Pa. "Anyway, I thought the two would have settled or got engaged, but the talk around is that he broke up with her."