7.Needman

Later on, Mr. Needman came by with his son. They were measuring the dimensions of the sandlot. And to make matters worse, I now have a headache and can't stop sneezing.

"Squints, how's it going there, buddy?" He asks.

"Oh, like you really care?" He replies.

"Just bein' polite."

His son looks up at both Tommy and I, giving us a death glare.

"EJ, all the way to the fence now!"

"What're you doing here, Needman?" Squints asks.

"Taking some measurements."

"Measurements? For what?"

"Well didn't you hear? The city's puttin' the sandlot up for sale."

"You can't sell the sandlot!"

"Oh yeah they can." He smirks. "And I'm buyin' it."

"Excuse me?" Squints asks, shocked like the rest of us.

"Face it, Squints. The whole field has run it's course. Besides there's no real talent over here nowadays." Needman says, nodding at us. How could he?

"Well you didn't see what I just saw."

"Well I know where I can fetch a nice price tag and some newly developed condos right where your standing."

"Well as long as I'm baseball commissioner here..." Said Squints, adjusting his glasses. "I don't see that happening."

"Oh yeah? Well fix your glasses," He says, pushing Squints glasses up. "Because you got the future right here, and you don't even see it." He turns to his son. "Slack that off now, EJ! Take it all the way out to the fence!"

The boys shook our heads, but I couldn't. My head felt like it weighed 10 tons. I did NOT feel good at all.
END OF CHAPTER...