A Welcoming Homecoming

Welcome to Unital Ring III: Rebellion In The Underworld. Leaving off from where The Virtual Study Society left off, the story splits into two parts: Kirito, Jaymes, Asuna, Kureha, and Alice in the Underworld, everyone else in Unital Ring. Part One and Two of this story focuses on the Underworld parts of V26. The Underworld story is partly a sequel of sorts to my other story, Rise of the First Children, so there are some differences from the novel in terms of characters and events. Part Two will cover what happens in UR at the same time

As of publishing, V27 is a couple weeks from release, so there might be a pause before the "second half" of this story picks up. At that point, the Underworld story will diverge between the events in the Dark Territory and the Star Empire's. I hope I can nail it the way I want to.

We're starting in the Dark Territory with Jaymes' group for a couple of chapters to set the plot of the Underworld's trouble (at least from within the Underworld). Thanks for reading

xxxxxxxx

Part I: Fate of the Dark Realm

My name is Princess Sylvie, daughter and heir of the Crimson Emperor Jaymes and the Abyssal Empress Eydis of the Dark Territory.

For seventeen years, I've heard how great my father is. I've heard "the Emperor this", and "the Emperor that." I heard that he came from another world, how he came to this one and defeated two gods, and ruled the Dark Territory to its current state for one hundred and eighty-three years. Opinions of him differed between the people of the dark world. Demihumans would say he was a benevolent ruler, considering he improved their conditions as best as possible. Among the human race, some would say he was a fair and just emperor, while others would call him a demon. All sources said one thing in common; that it would be foolish to make an enemy of the Emperor.

And for the same amount of time, I watched as my mother did her best to rule. Ever since my father left her the throne, she's faced an onslaught of enemies who sought to fill the void left behind. Some challenged her, invoking the Law of Power as their claim to take on the throne; others took less savory and honorable measures. But my mother proved her power; after all, the Empress was said to be stronger than the Emperor when it came to swordplay. But she's no idiot, and neither am I. We may not know who they are or their numbers but know our enemies are waiting for the day Empress Eydis abdicates, and I become Empress Sylvie.

But even after my mother secured her place, I still suffered. While she fought for the right to rule, she sent me away to Aunt Airy, who lived in secret on the upper levels of Central Cathedral. When I returned, despite being the princess, kids my age, nobles and commoners, boys and girls, would repel me like I'm a goblin at a Star Empire school. I barely had any friends growing up, save for the five I can count on one hand, all born of influential noble houses and have loyalties to the Empress...or so I'm to believe. The only two houses I know to trust are House Zancale, longtime supporters of the Emperor and Empress since their rule began, the special forces known as the Kureha, and House Auratam, the pugilist descendants of the first Supreme Commander. Therefore, the only two friends I'm to trust completely are Log Auratum and Dorothy Zancale.

Knowing it wasn't easy, I idolized my mother's strength during these trying times. But she never showed her troubles and fears to me; she always kept a warm smile in my presence except when we trained together. A smile that, as I grew older, I learned was a facade but a necessary one. She couldn't show weakness to her daughter until she was sure I was ready to hold my own in a world that served strength over loyalty.

While I was never happy that my father left us behind, I also idolized his legend, hoping that the gifts he left me would provide me the strength to succeed the Empress. When I developed enough hair on my head, I received the first gift, an obsidian hairpin carved into an "S" with a slash going through the top arc. I've worn it every day as it meant a part of him was with me, watching and protecting me in my loneliness.