Union

"I still can't believe that Elliot talked Vaughn into being his best man! Vaughn hates doing things like that!" Rio exclaimed with a giggle as she and Julia headed over to Sprout Island together.

"Well, duh! It's because you're my maid of honor! You think he's going to just stand aside and let any other man near you when you're all dolled up?" Both girls giggled again, though Rio rolled her eyes at the suggestion. Then Julia slipped her arm through her friend's and pulled her closer. "I'm so happy you came back in time, Ree. You don't know what it means to me for you to be here. I... I didn't even want a wedding, at first. I didn't want anyone else to by my maid of honor, and I couldn't imagine a wedding without one. But... I'm so glad Ma talked me into it. Because you came home!"

Rio squeezed her friend's arm just as they arrived at Lanna and Denny's house and knocked on the door. A moment later, the petite blonde opened it wide and greeted them cheerfully. "Come on in, girls! Are you here for Vaughn's tux? It was so lucky that Will happened to have one that was almost a perfect fit! Vaughn is just a little broader in the shoulders, but only a little. And his legs are a smidgen longer. But I was able to make the adjustments, and it should fit him to a T!"

She led them back to her bedroom, placing a finger on her lips for quiet. Rio spotted a sleeping baby in a cradle by the large bed, and had to struggle to suppress the squeal of delight at his damp brown curls and plump, rosy cheeks and mouth. Then Lanna was handing a suit on a hanger to her, and she tore her eyes from the precious sight. They quietly crept back out of the room, and Lanna softly shut the door behind them.

"Thank you so much, Lanna! I know it was terribly short notice, but you're far and away the most skilled seamstress in the islands!"

"Oh, it was no problem! I love to sew. You know, I used to design and sew all my costumes back in my days as a pop idol. That was a lot of work, but so much fun!"

As they reached the door, Rio smiled at Lanna. "By the way, your son is just adorable! Fisher—that's his name, right?"

"Yes, that's right. And thanks! I only hope he behaves himself tonight—babies are so unpredictable." she said with an apologetic look at Julia, who just shook her head.

"Don't worry about it, Lanna," Julia laughed. "Babies are a part of life, same as weddings. No one's going to mind if Fisher adds his voice to the proceedings, or I won't anyway."

"Oh, whew! That's such a relief! Then we'll see you at the church this afternoon!" Lanna replied as they stepped back outside. She waved as she closed the door, and they crossed the street to the hotel.

They stopped first at Vaughn's room on the main level, and when he opened the door, he stared at the clothing Rio held out to him. Glaring, he said, "I can't believe I let Elliot talk me into wearing this monkey suit. Why'd he want me, anyway? Why not one of his pals?"

Julia rolled her eyes. "Because, dummy, Elliot has idolized you practically his whole life! He thinks you're pretty much the coolest guy that ever walked the earth." Vaughn reddened and stared at her in surprise, and she grinned maliciously as she continued, "Too bad he doesn't know you as well as I do!" Then stifling a giggle, she turned and ran towards the staircase.

Laughing as her friend fled, Rio turned back to Vaughn. "So the wedding starts this afternoon at 16:00, but you and I need to be there earlier. Since the boat ride would mess up our clothes, we'll dress over at the church so we look our best for the ceremony. Meet us at the dock at 13:00, and bring the tux and anything else you need to get ready with you. Kirk should get plenty of business today, ferrying everyone back and forth!"

"All right, that gives me about two hours, so I'm gonna grab some lunch. I'll meet you in a while," Vaughn said as he reluctantly took the hanger from her. She smiled and turned to run after her friend, and he stood there for a moment, watching her disappear up the staircase. Then he glared again at the suit as he shut the door.