Chapter Two

Graham had taken the woman so off guard that she almost fell back. Luckily she managed to catch her footing and steadied herself on the small end table that was next to her bed. She was left to stare at Graham with wide eyes, panting softly to show only the merest of her fear.

Graham composed himself and calmly shut the door behind him. And when he turned around, his face was so serene that the woman could only question how he could be so calm with such abrupt decisions. The man was a peculiar one, and she did not like him.

At that thought, her face contorted into rage. She scrutinized his approaching footsteps, but it did not prevent her from putting her hands on her hips, "Do ye no' ken who I am?"

"Nay," Graham replied, "which is why I had so blatantly let myself in. I desire ye, and I want to ken more of ye."

The woman's lips curled up into an all-knowing look and she replied, "Ye may be the laird of this place, but I am greater than ye."

"How so?" Graham asked, studying his nails in mock appreciation.

The woman became frustrated by his nonchalant reply and she stomped towards him, slapping his hand down away from his face and spitting out, "They call me Moira of the lowlands, for it is my father who is Duke of Rothesay."

Graham's face fell, "Yer father is a duke?"

Moira smiled at his reaction, "Aye, that is correct."

Graham put a hand to his beard and rubbed it as if he were thinking about something important. Then, his frown disappeared and instead a look of determination overcame his features, "I suppose this only gives me more of a reason to get to know ye."

Moira sneered at that, "What?"

Graham nodded, "Aye, Lass, have ye never heard of the phrase 'play with fire'?"

Her sneer grew, "I thought it was, 'Donna play with fire'."

Graham frowned slightly at that, "Now, where is the fun in that?"

She opened her mouth to say something else, but Graham did not give her the chance. He swiftly reached out and pulled her into his arms. Then, he lifted her into his embrace as if she weighed nothing.

Moira screamed on the top of her lungs, demanding that he put her down but he did not. Instead, Graham carried her down the hallway and down the stairs to where the owner watched them leave with wide eyes. Graham had somehow managed to take the key to her room. He threw it at the man, saying briefly, "She will be checking out now."

"This is outrageous!" Moira yelled, "Put me down, this instant!"

"Nay," Graham replied easily, "for that would be stupid of me."

She hit him against the chest, "'Tis stupid of ye for practically kidnapping me!"

Graham snorted at her offense, but nevertheless he recomposed himself and began walking down the road, "Donna worry, lass, no harm will come to ye."

Moira screamed loudly, "Why are ye doing this?"

This time Graham stopped briefly to look down at her seriously, "For I have already lost one lass, and I willna let myself lose another."

Then, he continued to walk down the road toward his manor as Moira was left to dwell on his words.