Unrequited Love is Like Black Coffee

Tim, like every day, sat across from Rita in the break room while they both had their morning coffee. Tim breathed in the savory aroma of black coffee; the work break room, for whatever reason, had free coffee, but no cream or sugar. It was fine. Tim had learned to appreciate the disgusting flavor over time. Anyways, right now there was a more pressing matter.
"We need to keep on this case, Tim," Rita was saying. "Over the years I've realized that cases like these are like a wild animal. You have to chase after it and stay hot on its trail or you'll lose it altogether," She said grimly before taking a sip of coffee and wincing at the awful bitterness.
    Tim simply chuckled at her analogy. "You know you don't have to be so intense all the time, right? I know how hard this line of work is, and how under-appreciated it is, for that matter. We've been partners for... damn has it really been six years?" Tim scratched his head. "Time really does fly." Rita nodded, "Yup. It's been six years and eight months, to be exact. I think you're shaping up to be a pretty good detective." She smirked at him in that way that always made him feel just a bit dizzy.
    Tim smirked back. "We're not detectives though. Sometimes I think you forget that. We're reporters. The only difference is that detectives sniff out criminals to keep the order and protect the law. When reporters chase criminals, it's to make money." Rita snorted at his sardonic observation. "You're not wrong. But that doesn't mean I don't care about catching this fiend. He's been embezzling thousands of dollars for months now, and I still feel like we're nowhere near figuring out who the hell he is. Even the top detectives are stumped."
    Tim sighed. "You're right, but I know you. You're smart and determined as hell. We'll figure it out." Rita gave a sweet smile and said, "Well, I'll figure it out, and you'll stand around complimenting me. I'm not complaining though. It's probably the only reason I've kept you around for so long." Tim gave her a laugh, understanding it was just a joke, but he couldn't help the little bit of pain in his heart.
    He wasn't genuinely offended or anything; Rita was just the type of person to say that to her close friends. But the problem was just that- she made those jokes to her friends. Tim had never told her, but all her little jokes just made him feel like nothing but a buddy or a pal, when what he really wanted was for her to tell him she loved him.
    He stared into his coffee. It didn't matter anyways, because Rita was never going to say that to him. She was engaged, for Christ's sake! To possibly the most devilishly handsome man in all of Seattle; Moby Coldsteele. Polished orange paint, friendly eyes, and an irresistible smile made almost any young woman (and some young men) absolutely swoon, and that included Rita.
    And worst of all, Rita clearly loved him. She talked about him a lot; all the funny and romantic things he did, all the ways he surprised her, and many more impeccable details about their perfect relationship. Even worse, he was rich!
Tim swished his coffee around in the mug. He felt Rita was kind of like black coffee; an alluring fragrance that drew him in, but a bitter taste. She was oh, so tempting, yet one-hundred percent unattainable.
    "Tim, wake up, now! We've got work to do. I think we should go question that sketchy real estate broker I found. We might have our embezzler right there, if I can just get him to confess!" Rita said this with some gusto before standing up and ceremoniously dumping her mug of coffee into the break room sink. Tim watched her affectionately and stood as well. "Alright then. Let's go, shall we?"