84. Car Rental

LUC

WE STOPPED AT the fringe of the forest once more clouds came into view. Rain poured in buckets, drenching us and flattening the hair on our faces. At least it washed off the thin film of soot on Riley's face, and probably mine.

We crossed the border in mid-afternoon and pushed it past South Point, then all the way to Ashland, walking at times.

Ray powered off his cell phone and turned to us at a busy street corner. Passersby threw glances at the four of us under their umbrellas. He wiped a thumb along his eyes to get rid of the moisture then stared at us openly.

"The auto place is right ahead. You guys stay here and I'll take care of the thing."

My sister stared him down, blinking through the rain. "I don't think you should split."

Ray's hand hung around his jaw. He distanced himself from the group. "No offense, but you all look like the gum under my shoe. If I go alone, I'll attract less attention, okay? They don't have my charming face."

"Make it quick."

She spun to watch the animated roads and the bridge near the port. Uneasiness rolled off of her unless I mistook it for a shiver.

He mimicked a two-fingered salute at us and withdrew on the pavement. He stepped over a curb and walked toward a storefront, disappearing behind a glass door.

My stomach howled and rumbled, and it was a miracle I was still fine after all that exertion with only Jolly Ranchers to suck on. I could devour a family of four. And then I'd nap again.

I sensed Riley's cautious gaze bearing on me, so I gazed back at her, head bending down. She pushed hair that slipped out of her bun and into her face. When she peered up at me, there was so much worry troubling the stormy blue of her eyes. All the training and the deaths, I knew it was getting to her. 

A flush of darkening spots on her neck caught my attention. That messed me up inside. As I recalled the shape of the mutant in the snow beside Chuck, I was convinced he got off lightly. 

"How are you holding up?" The splash of traffic into puddles drowned out my voice.

She tried to give a reassuring smile. Bullshit. "I'm a little cold. And hungry."

I was so besides myself that my own hunger calmed down. This was what bringing her to my doorstep did to her. They broke her world apart to cannonball her into mine, and living in mine came with its fair share of burdens on a good day.

"We'll get some food along the way," I promised, and Lauren spun around at the sound of that. I couldn't promise anything more and felt awfully empty-handed. Couldn't even promise that tomorrow would be better. "And a place for the night."

Riley closed her eyes and bobbed her head up and down.

"I..." An edgy laugh bubbled out of her throat. Her eyes swept down to the sidewalk, then side to side. "Oh my God, I can't imagine when people at school see the news or... or my parents... What about Waffle?"

"They'll pull through. Waffle will be okay. I'm sure she's around somewhere." It came off strange that in the midst of all this, she was a Nervous Nellie over the cat.

Maybe it was too hard to give thought to the rest.

I stole a glance from Lauren, who stood in the rain watching us. She tipped her head sideways. Her hands opened one second, letting me know she wasn't going to involve herself there.