The Sidekick Logs

The lecture had been bad enough. No one ever seemed to trust he knew what he was doing and didn't have time to argue with everyone for the correct course of action. They trusted when Cain or Drake made similar decisions but not him. Never him.

It was wholly and completely unfair.

It felt like Grayson never let him have any freedom. If he'd wanted to be treated this way he would've stayed with his mother. Maybe he should've given her offer more consideration when he last saw her. He still can't figure out why he chose to stay.

Finding his father was slow going and he wasn't really allowed to be involved. Drake was back in Gotham attempting to settle himself in his newfound independence so Grayson didn't exactly need Damian around anymore. There were plenty of people patrolling the city anymore. From Batgirl working with Oracle, to Batwoman doing her own thing like she always does, and the Birds of Prey also often did things in Gotham.

Sure Gotham had no shortage of insane terrorist running around and no one had ever told him they didn't want him around or that they would be better off without him but he could read between the lines. Maybe Grayson and Pennyworth didn't think that. Drake certainly did, he'd told Damian that on a number of occasions, of course that hadn't been recent and there were- extenuating circumstances that Damian should perhaps take into consideration before judging too harshly.

The list was a little too damning though. No matter what Grayson told him Drake had meant by it.

Damian will admit to still being a little heated by the whole situation. Drake was back to doing whatever it was he was still up to meaning he wasn't around as much to get on Damian's nerves. He cannot understand what had made him so special that everyone cared when he'd left. Damian could do anything Drake could do, including what he'd done tonight. He'd been right to go off on his own and abandon his post.

A decision needed to be made. Grayson would take too long to make it.

But there were consequences. There were always consequences. So after the seemingly endless lecture from Grayson he now had to go through old Robin patrol logs. Specifically three, one from each of his predecessors' time with the mantle.

Could be informative of what not to do. Three of them had essentially been fired and the other had died on the job and was now crazy. The legacy of Robin was not one meant to be viewed with rose colored glasses. It was a tragedy. Anyone with more than three brain cells would be able to see.

He decided to start with who he believed to be the biggest failure during their time.

Brown did have things going against her but the impulsiveness to her decisions along with the attempting to needlessly prove herself better than the other three had been her ultimate downfall.

Damian opened the prepared file.

Mission Status: Failed

Good start. What point was Grayson attempting to prove with this report? Damian noted none of them were written reports. One was a video recording and the other two were audio

When he opened the file he was a little shocked by her appearance. She looked disheveled. She'd removed the mask and cape from her uniform but still wore everything else. And she looked utterly defeated.

The date was less than a week before Batman would remove her from the role. Damian could feel the impending doom.

She took a breath in as if to steady herself before proceeding. "I don't even know what today's date is so- sorry but that's gonna be wrong too."

She was angry. This was likely recorded right after the fact. Mere hours. "I still don't think I'm wrong. He doesn't trust me. I guess it might not be fair. Tim was better at this afterall. Too bad his dad got wise."