Chapter Sixteen

It’s been about four months since Lydia last first saw Martin and she felt awful; the guilt kept eating at her. Her damn conscience was restless, always scolding her. Her heart sought forgiveness and got none.

“Lydia, Mr Rox wants to see you.” Esther told her on her way to serve a costumer.

“Okay. Thank you.” She said with a small smile, discreetly searching for Martin’s face. He stopped patronizing the restaurant ever since. She missed that.

Lydia reached the floor of his office and walked to the last door on the left then knocked.
“Come in.”

She entered, closing the door behind her and stared at Brennan. “Sir?”

“Sit down, Lydia.” He muttered, folding his fingers over his lips. His dark green orbs searched her overall expression. “How are you?”

“I’m good, thank you for asking.” She said tentatively.

“You don’t look good.” He stated flatly, watching the tightly clasped hands on her lap and took in her sunken bleak eyes. “You shouldn’t rub your eyes vigorously. It’s not good for your sight, not to mention dark circles.”

Lydia chuckled drily. “I love that you care.”

He smiled. “I don't at this moment. It’s merely an observation.”

She nodded, slowly. “Thank you.” After a moment, she glanced at him, “How is Martin?”

“I don’t know. We haven’t spoken in a while.”

Lydia broke her gaze from his cool ones with a shuddering breath, blinking rapidly. “Do you believe in God, Brennan?”

“I do. Although my views are rather complicated; almost leaning to the ‘If-He-does-exist’ theory.”

A slight frown pierced her brows. “How do you mean?”

“That’s a discussion for another day.” He brushed her question aside. “You’d likely preach to me and I’m really not in mood.”

Lydia narrowed her eyes at him, armed to the teeth with arguments.

“Anyway, that wasn’t why I summoned you.” He said, reclining on his chair. “Our services are been required for a company event.” He slid a sheet paper to her which she took scanning the information.

“When?”

“Three days from now. By 3:00 PM sharp. I’ve replaced you with someone else that afternoon so you will be part of the waiting staff catering the event. You are to resume work by 1:30 PM, that should give you adequate amount time to set things in order. Any questions?”

Lydia slid the paper back to him with a blank stare. “No, sir.”

Lydia stepped out of the gray van and followed the long train of waiters into the building then proceeded to fill the empty flutes with champagne and rosé, while the rest busied themselves with their apportioned tasks. The sudden patter of feet and sound of voices of the company workers echoed the large reception room. Sliding her face into the hard, blank façade of a seasoned waitress, Lydia took a sliver tray of champagne and rosé filled flutes to do the only thing she was being paid for.

Moving to back to the long table housing refreshments, she reached for a fresh, chilled bottle of champagne nested amongst crystals of ice and expertly popped it open. A dark voice filled with acrimony, venomous hate and icy disgust spoke behind her.

“You have some balls showing your face here.”

Lydia froze. Her heart raced at the sound of his voice and turned rigidly to meet him with a face completely scrubbed of emotion. “Martin.” She said civilly in greeting.