3. A Happy Birthday No Matter What

Emil picked his hair to fluffy perfection. This always ended his morning routine. After all, his family was nothing if not obsessed with looks, whether it be professionalism, aloofness, or in his case, being cute. And despite the life-shattering revelations lately, there's one thing he didn't forget.

He had a special day to plan.

The ship seemed a little gloomier in the past few days. Leon couldn't be the ball of sunshine he normally was, and Emil focused all of his energy on trying not to think about why. Roxie wasn't affected, but she's only one person. Everyone could use a little festivity to lighten up the mood. Or maybe a lot. He needed to break out the big guns.

"Morning, Lorie. What'cha up to?" Emil gave his brother a quick greeting after leaving the bathroom.

"Have you seen Ranger Summers lately?" Not even a good morning first? Typical Lorenzo.

Emil spotted Leon in one of the camera panels, talking to Aiden. "He's right there."

"The other one."

"Angelo shows up to jet training, doesn't he?"

"Yes, but where does he go during the rest of the day?" Light from the camera feed reflected off of Lorenzo's glasses.

"Oh. I dunno." To be honest, Emil tried not to run into him. "Why not just ask him then?"

"I can't allow him to think he's outwitted me. Now where is he hiding...?" Ironic for Lorenzo to be so hung up on this. It's okay for him to hide from everyone for days on end, but not someone else?

Before the captain could find his answer, an incoming call message filled up his camera feed, startling both him and Emil. The latter stood up straight in case it was one of their higher-ups.

An older woman's face filled up the camera. "Oh, is this thing on?" She leaned back to reveal a mail carrier uniform. "Hi. I have a special delivery here addressed to the Celestion-5. It's for a Leonardo Summers?"

Emil craned his head up. "Oh yeah, we have that guy!"

"Someone by that name is stationed on this ship, yes." Lorenzo answered more formally.

"Permission to dock on your ship?" she asked.

"Permission granted." He pressed one button to drain oxygen out of the loading dock. After that finished, he pressed another to open the door. "You may now enter."

"Thanks!"

A tiny mail ship parked itself inside. Emil busied himself by digging under his bed until he finally found what he was looking for. His guitar and portable amp.

Lorenzo turned back to him, pressing the same two buttons in reverse. "Accompany Ranger Summers to the loading dock while I keep watch for his brother. Have him open the package there. Do not enter the upper area of the ship until he does. And make sure you wear your helmet and gloves while he does it, just in case."

"Just in case what?" Emil stood back up.

"Remember AEMBA."

He rolled his eyes. He remembered alright. "Any envelope might be anthrax. I thought Dad phased that one out. So wait, do you think Rookie's mailing in poison? Rookie??"

"If the other one is up to something, it only makes sense that Ranger Summers would be involved." Lorenzo reasoned, though Emil would hardly call it reasonable. "Or maybe he mailed it in under his name."

Emil sighed, genuinely sad for him. "Lorie. I know you're worried, but I'll be fine. I promise."

"Please just wear the helmet and gloves."