3: Spread Thin

(A/N: Anything in Italics is a FLASHBACK or phone call. The difference should be obvious. Anything written in regular font is current day. Thanks for the Support ‼️❤️🙏🏾)

"You always think the only one who needs any attention is you. Don't be so conceited." - Mariah The Scientist

" - Mariah The Scientist

*Emon Ricciardi*

" I ain't seen you up here in a minute! Boy, you look good. I'm glad you found time to visit. " My brother spoke behind the polycarbonate glass between us.

I shifted in my seat looking around at the people visiting their loved ones under the watch of the prison guards. " Shit has been hectic. I was dealing with a lot. I had to get shit straight on my end. "

" I understand. I missed you. Ma has been trying to visit, but I know it kills her to see me back here. " He says.

     I sit analyzing him noticing he was keeping his head at an angle. " This isn't her favorite place to be. You holding up alright though? "

" As best as I can. " He shrugs, " This is light work. "

     " I see you trying to hide that black eye. What happened? " I asked, addressing the obvious elephant in the room.

" This ain't nothing. " He lowered his head so I wouldn't stare too long at his bruise. " Some nigga tried to punk me for my commissary. I wasn't going for that. "

     " You got to be careful bro. That shit can be replaced. Don't get hurt over something so small as that. "

He shakes his head. " You don't understand. It's all about respect and what you can tolerate in here. That one thing may seem so small but if you let it fly it'll keep happening. You letting folks steal from you makes you a mark in here. "

I hated that one stupid split decision landed him here but he had to face the consequences of his actions. When he was arrested and sentenced my Mother was crushed. I tried to be the best influence I could be, but my brother was determined to do his own thing. " I guess I can understand that. You'll be out soon though. Just gotta stay alive to do that bro. "

" Yeah. " He chuckled, " Anyways, how them babies doing? You should've brought me pictures. "

" They're good. They're good. It's a lot of crying and shitty diapers though. " I laugh, " Iyesha has been a little depressed. "

" Why? " Enoh asked, " New babies should be an exciting time. "

" She says it's because I'm never home. I have to work and bring money in to support us. Since Dad retired I had to take up the mantle at the shop. " I explained. " I make sure to call and check up and help out as soon as I get off work. "

" You gotta do what you gotta do bro. You doing what you have to and supporting the family. " He shrugs.

" Visitation ends in ten minutes! " The guard shouted out causing everyone to look over.