Chapter Five: Sleep Puffing

All the engines on the North Western Railway work hard to be really useful. They are busy when the sun goes up, and they are still busy when the sun goes down.

One evening, Thomas and Percy arrived back at Tidmouth Sheds after a hard day at work.

"Bust my buffers, Percy, I'm tired," sighed Thomas.

"We all deserve a good night's sleep, Thomas," wheeshed Percy, "I still have to take the mail tomorrow."

"Also, i need to deliver Gabriella's package to her grandparents's house" Percy said "Gabriella's grandparents will be happy to receive package from their granddaughter".

They both were asleep when Henry backed into his shed berth. He stopped and drifted off to sleep.

Later that evening, as the other engines slept, Henry started to move, and he didn't wake up. He nearly knocked the shed doors open and made his way across the turntable. This woke up Thomas with a shock!

"Henry? Henry! Where are you going?" cried Thomas. But Henry didn't answer. He already rolled away from Tidmouth Sheds.

Just then, the other engines woke up.

"What was that?" the other engines all said.

"It's Henry," said Thomas, "He's sleep puffing."

"Sleep puffing?" snorted Gordon, "What nonsense! You're imagining it, Silly Little Thomas."

"Well, what's that, then?" James asked. The shed doors were still open. Gordon couldn't believe it. He was in disbelief, but didn't want to admit it.

"Henry has no idea where he's wandering around," wheeshed Thomas, "we must find him and get him back to the sheds!"

"Careful, Thomas" warned Edward, "It can be very dangerous to wake up a sleepwalker and very muddling for them how many miles they've gone in their sleep."

"Then we'll have to guide him back to Tidmouth Sheds," said Thomas. "We have to split up and guide him out of harm's way. Come on!"

The other engines except Edward all sighed and grumbled. They knew they'd have work in the morning, but they agreed.

"Coming, Gordon?" James asked.

"Me? Chase after a sleepwalker like Henry?" Gordon huffed, "Absolutely not! Besides, I have an express to take in the morning and I need a good rest!"

"That's not the right attitude," snapped Emily, "Henry is our friend and we must help him no matter what!"

Gordon muttered crossly, but he set off with the others.

Meanwhile, Henry was puffing down the mainline in his sleep. He didn't see the signals or the points set to a goods depot just as Duck put his evening goods train there. Just then, Thomas was following and so was James. James managed to puff ahead of Henry until he was diverted onto the line Henry was on. He managed to whistle as loud as he could. This woke the signalman, who saw what was coming ahead and managed to set the points just in time.

"Well done, James!" said Thomas.

"Thanks," panted James, "That got Henry safely out of the way."

"Hopefully, we could keep him out of danger."

"What was that all about?" Duck inquired.

"Henry's sleep-puffing," Thomas explained and he told Duck all about it.

"That is a problem," Duck said, "We'd better keep one step ahead of him before he comes to anymore harm."

"Percy and Emily are already on it," huffed James who was taking on coal and water.