Chapter 1

It was the evening of Christmas Eve. Alyssa Calvin was at home, waiting for her father to get home from his work Christmas party.

When Alyssa's parents got divorced, Alyssa was old enough where they decided to allow her to decide who she wanted to live with. She picked her father. Whereas, her younger brother Charlie lives with their mother and their step-dad, Neil. And their father has visitation. Charlie always spent Christmas Eve with her and their dad.

Alyssa was currently getting stuff ready for a dinner. She had most of it done, except for the turkey. She will let her father deal with the turkey.

Just then, the doorbell rang. Alyssa knew it was her mother and brother. She went to answer it.

"Hi Aly!" Charlie said.

"Hey bud." Alyssa greeted. "Hi Mom."

"Hi sweetheart." Laura greeted. "How are you?"

"I'm doing good." Alyssa said.

"I'm assuming your father isn't home." Laura asked.

"He was at a work Christmas party." Alyssa replied. "I can call him to see when he's going to be home."

"Please, do that." Laura said.

"You guys can come in and wait." Alyssa said as she pulled out her phone to call her dad. She dialed her dad's number.

"Hey kiddo." Scott answered. "What's up?"

"Where are you?" Alyssa asked. "Mom and Charlie are here."

"I'm leaving the party now." Scott said. "I'll be there in about twenty minutes."

"You haven't left the party yet?" Alyssa asked.

"Just tell your mother to relax." Scott said. "I'll be home soon."

"Alright." Alyssa said, sighing. "Bye." She then hung up. Neil was with her mom and Charlie. "Hi Neil." Alyssa said.

"Hello Alyssa." Neil greeted.

"He hasn't left the party yet, has he?" Laura asked.

"He said he'd be here in twenty minutes." Alyssa answered.

Laura huffed in frustration. None of them really spoke. Which made it a pretty awkward silence until Scott got there.

"Hi." He greeted them. "Hey guys."

"I'll be waiting in the car." Neil said. "Bye Charlie. Bye Alyssa."

"Bye Neil." Alyssa and Charlie both said.

"I'll be there in a minute." Laura said as Neil walked away.

"You going to your mom's for dinner?" Scott asked Laura.

"Actually, we're going be with Neil's family." Laura corrected.

"Ah, Christmas at the pound." Scott said as he made a howling call.

"There aren't that many presents under the tree." Charlie observed.

"Well, that's because Santa hasn't come yet." Alyssa explained.

"Neal doesn't believe in Santa." Charlie said.

"Well, Neal's head comes to a point." Scott said.

"It kind of seems babyish to believe in that stuff." Charlie said.

Alyssa decided to go outside to talk to Neil. She knocked on the window of driver side.

Neil rolled the window down. "What's up, Alyssa?" He asked.