Chapter 44

Given that the last time I had seen the pack infirmary, I had been hyperventilating about my imminent death, the place did not fail to deliver on the chills as I walked through its corridors for the second time. But unlike the first encounter, where the place had been quite and rather dead, it was now abuzz with activity. People...shifters, were flitting in and out of rooms, carrying trays or scribbling away in their pads. The only time they stopped was to either covertly glance in my direction or completely freeze in their tracks with the classic "deer caught in the headlights" look.

I couldn't blame them for their blatant staring considering that the last time they had seen me was at the pack announcement months ago where Alex had reluctantly revealed that their youngest brother and Beta, had found a human mate. Me - the tragic, pathetic disappointment.

That had been the first and the last time that I was given a welcome of any sorts since Alex never missed an opportunity to remind me just how unwelcome I really was.

As for me, I found myself in the same boat when it came to deciding on an appropriate reaction towards them. For someone who had been cooped up for months on end with no company nor any form of stimulation, the loud noise, the overpowering scents and the intimidating wolves proved to be sensory overload. I felt nervous and fidgety as I walked alongside Liam, who on the other hand, seemed rather preoccupied as he greeted everyone along the way.

The urge to reach out and hold his hand to help soothe my nerves was overwhelming but I refrained, knowing that such an act, even one done for the purpose of harmless comfort would be frowned upon in this world. Physical touch was something reserved for mates or lovers. The shifter culture did not incorporate nor encourage random or even friendly touch between adults considering how territorial their wolves can be which was a blow because after the treacherous events of the last few days, I was desperate for any form of comfort.

"In here"

Turning into the small room that Liam had pointed, I peered in. It had a single bed and a desk in the corner with a sink and a few cupboards along the opposite wall. The elderly woman seated at the desk stood up as we entered and offered me a smile and a respectful nod in Liam's direction.

Another round of chills wracked through my system as I recognised the woman, even though I couldn't recall her name. She had been the same woman who had interacted with me on that fateful day when I had been brought to the infirmary the first time.

"Hello Mia. It's lovely to see you again."

I stared, maybe a little impolitely but I couldn't help myself. Aside from the obvious fact that I didn't share in the sentiment, the last few days had pretty much shut me down. Thomas's absence, the incident with Marcus, which made me physically ill every time it came to mind and the crushing news about the announcement next week...

My throat constricted at the very thought and my heart pounded within my chest as the bond twisted violently. Why did it feel like a betrayal? And why did it hurt so much?

Liam's eyes volleyed between the woman and I expectantly, but I continued to stare, blank and uncaring. I was past the point of worrying over frivolous pleasantries when deep inside I felt like I had nothing left to live for.

The silence grew as both of them shifted uncomfortably. Liam, guessing that I wasn't going to respond, cleared his throat awkwardly, his concerned gaze settling on my face as he spoke. "I'll leave you with Jo here and come back to get you when you're done."

I wanted to say something but no words came out. What could be said when everything was chosen, decided and forced upon you? Nothing. Holding my silence, I nodded at him before moving to the seat that Jo had drawn out, ignoring the piercing gaze on my back as he lingered around for a few minutes before taking his leave.