Chapter 3- Faun

I saw them. My heart pounds in my chest, fluttering from the panic and excitement of the last few minutes. I saw them. It worked! The ritual actually worked! Well, partly. I was hoping for more than their eyes glowing back at me, staring intently into mine. Nevertheless, I saw them.

I snap out of my trance and begin to clean up the altar room in order to leave no trace of my presence there. My hands shake as I put candles back and stash the offerings in a small tote bag to dispose of at home. I stand up and make my way to the door, which I open and close slowly in order to not make any noise. If Cassian ever finds out about this, he'd lose it.

Before I leave, I make sure nothing is left out and there is no sign that I ever performed a ritual. I use a splint to light a lantern to use on my way home, since I know it will be dark and the snow will obscure the moon, leaving me with hardly any light to find my way home. I put out the fire and conduct one last sweep of the altar room and main room before leaving.

When I exit the temple, a bitter, cold wind smacks me across the face. Looks like the snow is picking back up, I better get home quick. I pull the hood of my cloak over my head and try my best to keep the candle from going out.

Sometimes I wonder what it's like in other villages. Elder is the only city in Haverholm with these grand temples to the gods. I've heard there may be some small temples in Hollow Valley, but most people say that's just a rumor. Everyone knows that the gods told the First Priests to build Elder as a town with beautiful temples dedicated to the gods. A town where people from all over Haverholm can come to these temples to pray and present offerings to the gods. But what if there are other temples out there? I doubt it, but still, what if?

I shiver and trudge through the snow. Gods, it's freezing. My fingertips turn from cold to numb and my teeth begin clacking against each other. This winter is sure to be a bitter one. I wrap the cloak around me tighter, in an attempt to warm myself up, but it doesn't help much.

Gods, I can't believe I did it. After years of longing to break through to Damien, to thank them for hearing my prayers, I finally have a lead. I smile at the thought of it and let out a small laugh. I did it. Now, I just have to figure out how I can talk to them. Seeing their eyes in the mirror is only the beginning. I need to break further through. I need to speak to them.

My cottage is small, but rather cozy. I start a small fire in my fireplace and spend a couple minutes warming myself next to the flames. I take a deep breath and let my worries go. Cassian never saw, I got away with it. I just have to keep this up. Maybe I could go early tomorrow morning? Long before he wakes up? No, there's always the chance that he gets up early. Performing the ritual after he has retired to his quarters for the night seemed to work.

I need to be able to speak to Damien. I don't care what people have told me about them. I don't care about all the tales that were told to me when I was a child, I need to talk to them. I need to thank them for answering my prayers that night.

It started a few days before he passed. It was a clear, summer evening and I had been waiting for my mother to get home from the temple. The sun had just found its home behind the mountains and stars were beginning to show. The wind blew my hair into my face. I giggled. This was the first clear night in weeks. Looking at the bushes next to the house, I saw fireflies glowing and humming, basking in this warm summer evening. All of the calm and beauty surrounding me came crashing down as soon as I heard familiar voices coming from the house next door.

"Do you think she'll find out?" a woman spoke.

"Not a chance," my father's voice whispered in the wind. "Besides, she's always at the temple and doesn't get home until late."