Chapter 4

I texted Ben the next morning and told him to come swimming later, since it was actually pretty warm today. Taking advantage of the sun, I untied my top as I was sitting by the pool, getting tan earlier than usual.

"Um- I-" Ben garbled, standing at the fence that had just shut.

"Shit." I quickly arranged the triangles over my exposed boobs. "Be a dear and come tie this." I felt his warm hands on my back as he tied my bikini top back on.

"Well, good morning." I grinned. He laughed, flustered.

"I usually wait until the sixth date." He replied.

I rolled my eyes. "I was just trying to get some sun. You boys have it easy."

"Very true." He said as I got in the pool and he lifted his shirt off. Jesus Christ.

"It's deep." I whined, hanging onto the edge for dear life.

"Swim." He replied casually.

"I can't." I felt a pair of arms wrap around my stomach and carry me towards the middle, the deepest part.

"You can't swim?" He chuckled.

"Nope. Never got around to it." I bit my lip nervously. Being in the water made me anxious.

"That's kind of a liability, isn't it? Having a pool when you can't even swim?

"It's good for decoration." I said sheepishly.

"Decoration. I swear girl, the strangest things go on inside your head." He chuckled, swimming back to the edge and sitting on the underwater bench, still holding me. I put my head back so that it was lying on the concrete, my neck on his shoulder.

"Tanning?" He asked.

"Mmm." I nodded my head. "I miss the sun. In Texas, it was hot year-round. None of this gross cold weather. I don't want to hear it, Washington boy." I said as he opened his mouth.

"Okay, sassy. At least it doesn't rain 300 days out of the year in Texas." He replied.

"Only about three." I grinned, turning my head to look into his beautiful eyes.

"Can I ask you something?" Ben asked, eyes flickering to my scars. I nodded.

"Why?" He asked simply.

"It's a funny story. I've only been in love once in my life. His name was Liam. He. . . Hated me. He told me I was fat and ugly and unloved and I believed him. I just loved him so much. I- I just wanted to be perfect. For him." I said quietly. The thought of those days was enough to make my eyes water and a few tears ran down my face. "It gets better. My dad got married. . . To his dad. So I'm stuck with him. Not that I still love him; it's been years. But it's like opening up a wound every time I see him."

"I'm so sorry. He's an idiot." Ben said softly. "It's just. . . You're so lively and happy. I can't imagine you being so sad."

"I learned to love myself." I said. You could hear the smile in my voice.

"I don't know why it took you so long." He grinned.

"It's cold. Let's go inside, then we can go out. Good?" I planned out loud.

Two hours later, we were dry and in the streets of Los Angeles.

"It's only noon. What should we do today?" I asked, looking around the street.

"We could go to the art museum." He pointed a couple of blocks down.

"I love art museums!" I smiled excitedly.

"Let's go, m'lady." Ben feigned a horrible accent and we set off down the street.

"I love art. It's like writing with paint." I said.

He laughed. "I think it would be a best seller if I wrote down the strange things you say."

"Not a bad idea. I already am a best seller though." I smirked.

"Whatever, we can't all be creatively talented."

"You are." I said playfully.

"I wasn't talking about myself!" Halfway to the art museum, we were surrounded by paparazzi.

"Macklemore, what happened with you and your ex-fiancé?"

"Macklemore, how do you feel about Thrift Shop going number one?"

"Macklemore, is this your new girlfriend?"

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders, steering us inside the museum and away from the flashing lights of photographers.

"Sorry about that." He said sheepishly.

"That's what happens when you're friends with a superstar." I shrugged. "Let's see some art!"

After uncountable paintings and a few fans, we had seen the length of LA's art museum and walked out into the bright sunlight.

"Can we eat? I'm starving?" I groaned.

Ben laughed. "You're such a baby. Come on."

"Where's Ryan today?" I asked.

"His family lives here, so he's been spending a lot of time with them." Ben explained.

"Not that I don't like just seeing you! I was just asking. Why is my life so awkward?" I sighed.

"It's cute. I love your awkwardness." Ben replied.

"McDonald's!" I pointed. Ben laughed for the billionth time today, going inside. I got some chicken nuggets and grinned.

"You're the best, Ben. You know?"

"I know." He replied. "Of all the restaurants in this town, you picked McDonald's. You make me laugh."

"I supply the comedy." I grinned snidely.

"What do I supply?"

"The looks." I blurted, then blushed. Ben smirked.

"Aw, does Audrey think Ben is cute?" He cried. I blushed even harder."Come on, just admit it."

"Ridiculously attractive." I quoted Ben from last night, burying my face in my hands.

"The feeling is mutual." He snapped a picture of me looking like an idiot, and then put it on instagram.

@Macklemore: @audreyelizabeth is a qt

"See?" He brandished his phone. "I got you."

"Aren't you just a gentleman." I rolled my eyes. Ben's phone rang.

"Hey, Ryan."

"Why is she mad?"

"Whatever. Are we still going out tonight?"

"Alright, I'll ask her. See you in a little while." Ben hung up. "Ryan said to tell you not to seduce me yet, because he still wants a chance."

"With me or you?"

Ben laughed, shrugging. "Good question. We're going to a club tonight, he wants me to invite you. You down?"

"Hell yeah!" I said. Ben took me home, left to go get some clothes and promised he'd be back later. I couldn't wait!