i. welcome to nevermore

✧˚ ༘ ⋆。˚

EVER SINCE SHE WAS BORN, WILLA LASLOW HAS BEEN ATTACHED TO HER BROTHER, ROWAN LASLOW TO THE HIP. Well, more like the other way around. Well, how could he not be? She was everything he wanted to be, confident, brave, and most of all, powerful. She strutted the halls with confidence, unfazed while envious looks were thrown her way, something he could only wish to mimic. She was his hero, his person. 

Although they came from different social backgrounds, Willa with Bianca Barclay and Divinia, and Rowan usually alone, they always looked out for each other. Behind Willa's confident exterior, she kept a soft spot for her brother, whether that was checking up on him in the hallways or studying late at night. 

One night at the library, as Rowan was packing his bag up from a study session, Willa placed a locket in his hands, "Here," she said. 

Rowan glanced up at her with a curious look. "What is it for exactly?" he asked. 

She looked at him for a moment before bringing out another locket, identical to the one he had now.

"They're matching lockets," Willa answered. "It's just something that only the two of us will share. Like a secret code, you know? Anytime one of us isn't there or misses the other, we have the locket to give each other comfort. Our little secret."

Silence settled over the two. Willa bit her lip nervously, awaiting her brother's response to the gesture. He looked at the locket in his hands, tears beginning to well in his eyes.

Suddenly, he brought her into a tight hug, making Willa stumble a few steps back. "Thanks," he whispered. Willa returned the gesture, gently stroking his back. "Of course, anytime."  

✧˚ ༘ ⋆。˚

✧˚ ༘ ⋆。˚