A Chance Reunion

˚ · •

˚ · • . ° .

James was grateful that Sirius picked his outfit because there was a high chance he would have arrived severely underdressed.

The event, a fashion award show, was absolutely packed with flashing cameras and journalists interviewing the various designers that were receiving awards that night.

There was a red carpet running up the far side of the hall, leading to a doorway to the actual event. On the other side of the carpet, there were people sipping drinks and talking amicably. No matter how hard he clung to Sirius, he had a distinct feeling that they would get separated very quickly. James was beginning to understand exactly why Remus would have declined this offer, busy or otherwise. Remus was not the type that enjoyed 'mingling' with strangers.

"This is Remus's idea of hell," James joked into his best friend's ear.

"Why do you think you're standing next to me?"

"Rude. I'm obviously the most handsome choice."

"Absolutely not. Although, admittedly, he would not have filled out the suit I gifted for you."

James laughed, tugging on the lining of his jacket, "I guessed this didn't actually belong to you."

"Are you kidding? It'd drown me."

"That might be fashionable."

The two of them were laughing when a camera lit up their faces. The photographer lowered the camera and grinned at them.
"Hey stranger!"

James frowned when the blonde woman spoke. She was probably too beautiful to be a photographer, she really deserved to be on the carpet with the models but she seemed happy enough where she was. Her hair was tied back in a complicated-looking ponytail and her smart pink suit fit her better than James's fit him. And the most peculiar part was that she seemed to recognize Sirius.

"Marlene!" Sirius patted her shoulder and rounded on James' confused expression.
"When you've been at so many modeling events, you start to recognize the photographers, and this one is the best of the best."

"Stop it!" She slapped him on the arm, "He likes to flatter people."

"I wish he'd flatter me every now and again," James responded with a smile.
"I'm James, and for the record, you should definitely be on the other side of this carpet."

Marlene blushed as she laughed, "You clearly like to flatter people too and you're English too. Don't tell me you're Sirius' husband?"

This made Sirius nearly fall over with laughter, "First of all boyfriend– for now. And secondly: absolutely not. I have taste."

"Christ, I'm doing you a favor being here."

"Then stop distracting him!" Marlene said, pulling on Sirius' arm and dragging him towards the red carpet.