Number One Fan

˚ · •

˚ · • . ° .

"Did you hear about Reg?"

James sat down next to Sirius. They were in the latter's apartment, watching a TV show that was currently paused as James retrieved snacks while Sirius was on the phone.

"What about him?"

"I just got off the phone with Marlene, apparently she's interviewing him for a column," Sirius said, realization slowly flowing with his voice.

James ran a hand over his jaw, "And that means?..."

"That means our family is coming under fire again."

"They won't be happy."

Sirius nodded gravely, "No shit."

"Do you think they'll contact Regulus?" James asked after a moment of silence.

A heavy silence passed through them, by then the snacks and the TV were both forgotten. Sirius tipped his head back onto the couch, closing his eyes.
"I have no idea. I mean, my parents fucked up both our starts in the industry. I mean they had complete control over our contracts. Reg only untangled himself three years ago. That's not that much time, especially if they plan on regaining control. They're influential people, James. If they do contact him, I have no idea what they'll have to say and I have no clue what he'd say."

"Just because they're influential in business, doesn't mean they have any power over either of you anymore, or Andromeda for that matter. Three years is a lot of days, Sirius. Lots of days filled with lots of thoughts."

"Doesn't stop me thinking. What if they've got one more card to play? Some fucking ace up their sleeve that's going to ruin us?"

James reached across the sofa to hold onto Sirius' arm, prompting him to look at him.
"Then we'll deal with it if it happens. Until then, we have to assume that you're free. It's the only way you'll ever relax."

"Just like we did all those years ago?"

"Just like we did every single year as Marauders. We'll deal with the mischief when it happens. Until then, it's a simple hypothetical wonder that may possibly never happen."

Sirius sighed, "You know, I could relax better if I had a fucking drink."

"Then we'll get you one. My latest escapades as the famous writer, Milo Dru, are ruining me."

Another set of footsteps came out of the kitchen, "What's this about a drink?"
Peter sat on the arm of the couch, sensing the topic that led them here was sensitive.

"We're going out. Pete can drive, can't you?"

"Sure, but Remus is the DD, he can meet us after his last lecture and take my car back."