𝕏𝕀

Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

             AT SOME POINT DURING ONE'S LIFE, you must ask yourself whether life was real or not. I did plenty of asking whether my life was real - there was never one point when I felt like I had deserved it. Becoming Queen at a very young age tends to bring out maturity more quickly than usual, but the second I felt the crown on my head - I felt like a little kid again. 

I wanted my mother to hold me as I cried into her arms about my fears and worries, or my father to guide me onto the right path to bring prosperity to our homeland, or even my sisters, Sage and Marigold, who'd braid my hair as they comforted me with light teases and jokes.

I needed my family as I asked myself whether I was capable of being a mate to a wolf - and not just any wolf, but a lycan of all creatures.

As Christian explained why lycans were significantly more powerful than normal wolves, I questioned whether I could handle it. Lycans were the first kind of werewolves, gifted by the Moon Goddess, Luni, with incredible strength and speed, not to forget their ability to shift in and out of human form. 

During Mortalium, Luni had fallen in love with a human on Elysium. But the other Goddesses weren't so compassionate and banned her from meeting her lover, but Luni had a child, the first ever half-human, half-God - a lycan. A son. 

Christian's eyes became wistful as he glanced out the window of his office. With ebony panelled walls, and from top to bottom furnished with black and silver accents, I was in awe with how much this represented the King. 

He had taken me here after our meeting with the other members of his council, stating that he wanted to spend some time alone with me. From the piles of paperwork stacking on his desk, I could see how precious his time was and my heart warmed at the thought of him spending that time with me instead.

He continued on, speaking in that low and gravelly voice that had me absolutely hooked. "Lycans had the capability to turn someone into their kind, and this is what that child had done - however, this meant that the Turned were not of pure blood and thus classified as werewolves."

 Lycans were created through bloodlines rather than bites. Generations of family history and it was all because of Luni. Legend says that she had blessed her child with powers of a god and immortality, but in order to maintain the balance between peace and order, she had also made him vulnerable - a mate. Mates hold a considerable amount of power over one another; the ability to create and destroy one another was in their hands.

Christian, himself, was a lycan. The very last of his kind after his family was tragically murdered before the War of the Four Kingdoms - a similarity we both shared. Unlike myself, who had ascended to the throne due to the passing of my parents and sisters, Christian had been on the throne long before the War, but sadly his parents passed away two years after.