𝕏𝕍

chapter fifteen

chapter fifteen

           I FEARED CHRISTIAN WAS RIGHT. The distance between us was causing me to be in pain; this aching feeling first began in my stomach and soon spread to the tips of my fingers. The discomfort began to make my magic act impulsively. 

Any light source around me immediately extinguished before reignited. Only the flames would become stronger, bigger and hotter. At one point, I could not sit in the library because the fireplace flames grew too big, almost burning the table in front of it. 

Retreating to my bedroom, I sent out an immediate order that no one was to disturb me besides Genevieve. Cayden insisted on seeing me as the end of the week approached, and I knew Christian was getting restless. I wondered if he was in any pain too. 

"Do you plan on going to Crescent tomorrow?" Genevive whispered as she doused my shoulders with cold water. The cooling sensation helped offset the burning prickles on my skin. I exhaled shakily, leaning back into the tub. "Cayden wanted me to remind you."

"What do you think I should do?"

Taking a soft cloth, she cleaned my arms but I winced because it was sensitive to touch. I could see the despair in Gen's gaze as she stopped and then started again, freezing every time I flinched. So, I tried not to react. 

"I think you should tell Grandclain about your powers. They're becoming too unstable, Mikayla," she sighed, dropping all formalities. She only did that when she was truly worried. "You spend a second in the sun and you burn. It's like your powers are rejecting you."

As she voiced my deepest fears, I swallowed thickly as if the truth was lodged in my throat. I didn't speak, giving her the time to reveal what was on her mind. It wasn't often that she was frank with me and I knew I needed to hear it. No matter how blunt it was.

"I also think you should go back to Crescent. I know you're worried that the mating link means you think you can't trust your feelings, but I think it's more about his feelings instead. You feel like you can't trust it," Right again. I stayed mute, eyes following the bubbles that left the porcelain tub. "But you are the most compassionate person I've ever met, Mikayla. Christian would be a fool not to fall in love with you."

A cold cloth stroked my skin, reducing the redness.

"Have you noticed the cold is the only thing that soothes you?"

Yes.

"Do you think Christian will hurt you?"

Yes.

"Are you afraid?"

Yes.

"Mikayla?"

"Yes?"

"Please, look at me."

Mechanically, I turned my head and met her eyes. They were so blue she could almost be mistaken for a wolf. But they were the type of blue you'd see on delphiniums during the late summer.