Chapter 36

After Rico's failed attempt to make me stay, I walk for the door, feeling strong for the first time in weeks. Like I'm taking no more B. S—I'm done with it, especially if it's something I can control—like this situation I've found myself in with him.

I should have told Rico how I was feeling, and I had every intention of doing so when the moment was right. But after finding him with Gia, there's no point. And now it all seems so hopeless. Especially expecting more from him when he's not about to indulge me in the kind of relationship I want. And I'm not interested in settling for anything less. Not with the kind of feelings I now have for him. Which is why I need to leave.

I exit the room, pulling the door shut behind me. My eyes widen at the sight of Nonna, Gia and Phil standing meters from the door. Good thing I didn't let the moment with Rico overcome me. I could only imagine the commotion if Gia had walked in on us. It would have been interesting to see how Rico handled the situation, though.

Nonna steps away from the group towards me. "Dear, are you ok?"

I nod once. "I'm still leaving, though."

Nonna pulls a face, looking unsupportive of my plan, but Gia fist pumps the air.

"Whoop! Whoop! Thank God for that. And you better stay gone, bitch, cause Rico's mine."

Jealousy flares inside me. "Please, Rico's hardly yours when he's been all over me for the last week, and I haven't even had to give it up, like you."

Gia snarl as she steps forward, pointing her long, purple fingernail in my face. "Wounded or not, I'll still beat your scrawny arse if you try to throw me off with your lies!"

"It's not a lie." Even with my arm in a sling, I lift my head to give me more height, but even in my tall boots, Gia is still taller than me.

"Rico wouldn't touch you!"

Little does she know Rico can't keep his hands off me.

"Ask him if you don't believe me." I'm hoping she will, since Rico doesn't seem too keen to show his face.

"RICO!" Gia yells. "RICO COME OUT HERE!"

Within seconds, the door opens, and Rico stands at the doorway with his arm pressed against it. "What?" his tone is flat, uninterested, as if this is an inconvenience and the furthest thing from his mind.

"She said you want her—that you two have been getting it on all week—is it true?"

Rico looks unfazed by her question and shrugs a shoulder. "Yeah. And?"

With that, Gia's fist flies at me. I duck, knowing if I don't take her down first, I'm about to get my arse beat. So, I throw my left arm up to deflect her punch, take a step towards her, and then slam my forehead into her face. Since she has a couple of inches on me, my forehead connects with her nose. Gia cries out, stumbles on her feet, causing Phil to grab her from behind. She looks dazed as blood trickles from her nostrils and down the front of her tee shirt.

"Come on." Phil tells her. "I'll take you to the bathroom."

Gia's eyes widen and she looks alert once again, rolling her shoulder backward to get Phil of her. "Get your hands off me!" she yells, her eyes finding me. "And you bitch," she comes at me, her face distorted in rage. But before she reaches me, Rico is in-between us, holding her thrusting arm back. "Stop it, Gia!" he tells her.

"GET OFF ME!" she screams.

"Not until you stop."

I've never been more grateful for Rico's presence. Because I couldn't have fought her. Anything too strenuous and my stitches could have busted open, and my wounds turned into a bloody mess.