3| Morning Chaos

Killian

"Silas! Shit, where are your pants?" I yelled, rummaging through the pillows on the couch. Where were the damn car keys? "Has anyone seen my shoes? I can't leave the house without shoes, I-" Sadie babbeld, while cradling Silas in her arms. „Under the table!" I yelled, remembering vividly tripping over them just this morning.

I was so deep in the couch by now, that I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself crawling out in Australia anytime soon. When I finally heard it jingling, I breathed in at least three fluffs of relief. I brushed my hair from my face and held it up in triumph, letting out a joyous laugh. But nobody seemed to care.

"My goodness. I'm writing a math quiz today! I can not be late." Sadie said, as I walked into the kitchen behind her. "I'm hungry." Silas nagged, now sitting on the kitchen counter tying his shoes. "Today you're gonig to be satisfied with chocolate bars.", I declared, while rummaging for said candy at the same time.

Silas groaned in annoyance. "I want a peanut butter sandwich, though."
"The peanut butter is moldy," Sadie interjected, tying her black locks into a ponytail. "The peanut butter is moldy," I repeated to myself, putting it on my imaginary list of never ending things, that need to be done.

I threw a bar at each of them, before I finally fished my shoes out of a corner. We were damn late. Actually, we still had a lot of time. I don't know how it could escalate so quickly.

"I want a sandwich!", my little brother whined. „Why didn't Reid make us one today?" Silas continued nagging, jumping off the counter. Sadie rolled her eyes. "Because he needs to make money. Besides, you're eight! You can make your own sandwiches."
"But they taste better when he makes them."
Sadie ruffled the offended Silas' curls and grabbed her jacket.

"Ok," I began, gathering myself.
"Everyone who's done, moves their fat ass to the car." I started to push the two out of the kitchen.
"Go on. Hurry up! Ándale! Vite, Vite. Go tapa."

I stopped in track. "Wait. Weren't we once more kids?" I looked around. Where the hell was Lizzy? I took a deep breath. "LIZZY!" A rumble sounded from above, like a bad omen. Followed by a door slammed shut. Then a dripping, wet-haired Lizzy hobbled down the stairs, while she was putting on her shoe.

"Gosh, can you not even take a shower in peace in this house anymore?" she scolded and grabbed a kitchen towel, while I pushed the others towards the door. Teenagers really sucked. "Not if you're supposed to be in school in like - Shit!- 5 Minutes!" Lizzy rolled her eyes, while trying in vain to dry her hair with the kitchen towel. "Now everyone in the car. If you are not in the car in thirty seconds, you can walk ! You heard me? I have no mercy left. " I shouted and clapped my hands.

"Shotgun!" Lizzy shrieked, running towards the front door. "No, you won't!" Sadie replied, sprinting after her. I grabbed Silas and ran out of the house with him, pulling the door shut behind me. My God, I didn't think we would leave the house alive today.

I jumped behind the wheel and drove off. The streets were full and with every red light I cursed my life a little more. "You know, you don't have to drive us every morning," Sadie said from the passenger seat, which she claimed before Lizzy.

I looked over at her and saw her doing makeup in the mirror. How could she even do that in the car? That's impressive. "No problem. I have to go shopping anyway," I said. "You know I have a license too, right?" she murmured, brushing a few strands behind her ears, which didn't do much, as the dark curls snapped back immediately. "I know, but if I can help it, I want to avoid unleashing you on humanity as much as possible. Especially with Mrs. Siventi's car." She punched me playfully in the side. "I drive very well!"

No, no she did not.

I was particularly uncomfortable, because it wasn't our car that we drove to school every morning. We couldn't afford our own. But our neighbor Mrs. Siventis let us have hers, as she stopped driving after an accident. We only had to pay for repairs and, of course, the fuel.