Chapter Three. Don't Be A Hero, President

Year E3029

Year E3029

Ocea

His deep brown eyes watched me as memories of a young kid flashed around my head. My childhood best friend stood before me, but I couldn't do anything. I wanted to yell his name, but I could get caught walking around the city. I could get caught for having my memories, being a Savior, being me.

"Here," I said, handing over the drink to him. He took it, bobbing it in his hands, about to drop it to the ground again.

After he had the energy drink secured, he smiled at me. "Do I know you?"

In shock, I held my breath. "No," I said, rushing by.

Thomas set down all the drinks in his hands, following me. "You sure?" he asked, studying my face. "You look like someone I know."

I closed my eyes, pulling at my hair. "Nope," I said, pointing behind me. "Now, I have to go."

I rushed away from him. As much as I didn't want to because he remembered me, I knew I had a task for the Saviors, and they were waiting on my signal right now.

Finding an empty aisle, I pulled off my backpack. My sleeve fell to check my watch, showing I was already late. If I don't set my decoy soon, delaying Dylan, Wyatt will be stuck trying to steal the map to the MOS with an audience.

I opened the backpack to see the bomb Dylan had made within it. The bomb was going to destroy this aisle but not leave anyone injured. I started the timer on it, waiting for the green light to turn. Once it flashed at me and turned yellow, I stood up, spinning around to be face-to-face with Thomas.

He was pointing at the backpack on the ground. "W-What are you doing?" His eyes widened when I side-smiled at him. "You're one of them!" he yelled. "You're a S-S-Sa—"

"Savior," I said, finishing his sentence, causing his mouth to gape open.

I watched his reaction for a second. He didn't have the same facial expression as everyone else. Thomas seemed amazed.

Then I heard the timer for the bomb stop ticking. I tensed and jumped toward Thomas, tackling him to the ground. I took my leather jacket around the collar, pulling it up to cover both of our heads as I whispered to him.

"Three, two, one." When I said the last number, the bomb exploded, crashing into the ceiling. Parts of the produce fell on us as the smoke set off the alarms.

I gazed into his mesmerizing eyes while he looked at me like I would murder his puppy. The fire sprinklers on the ceiling clicked, pouring down the pink city water.

With a huff, I looked over my jacket as Thomas lay under me, still frozen. "Done." I stood up and ran toward the back door.

I tiptoed over the bread scattered on the floor, trying not to smash it. The convenience store would "donate" the food to the trash. Luckily for the Saviors, there will be free food for us. We didn't care if the bread was soggy from the sprinklers. When you are hungry enough, you will eat anything.