MSMC Bk 7 - Chapter 4

Chapter 4-Hard to let go

We drove home slowly, taking our time, not wanting our time with the kids to end too quickly but driving in the car is not the same as holding them and playing with them or rocking them to sleep.

Everyone was really happy to hear that Jenny was awake but for Dixie and I it was a quiet night. I had one of the prospects take food up to Jenny as soon as it was ready. As soon as dinner was finished, we took the kids upstairs, got their baths and we all watched TV until the kids fell asleep in between us on our bed. Sammy was snuggled up on the other side of Penny from Bucky and they looked so cute together. Unfortunately, all Dixie seemed to be able to do was cry.

"I feel like someone is stealing one of our kids. God, Roo, I don't think I could do this again. I can't take in another baby and then have her taken away from me. I've come to love Penny and Bucky." Dixie choked out through her tears.

"Dixie, we always knew there was a chance that Jenny was going to wake up. I care for these kids too but if you feel this way about them after only 2 months, can you imagine what it would be like for Jenny to have to give them up?" I said as I rolled off the bed and began carrying the kids to their beds. Sammy to his crib and Penny and Bucky to the playpen in the makeshift nursery in our closet.

When I returned to bed, I pulled Dixie close and just held her close as she cried herself to sleep.

The next morning, Dixie woke up before me, when Sammy woke up. She took him downstairs for his bottle and I found her cuddling with him in the family living room. The ladies had been decorating for Christmas and the tree had turned out really pretty this year. Dixie was softly singing a Christmas song to him and he just stared up at her as he drank his bottle. I took out my phone and before she realized I was there, I snapped a picture of them.

"Good morning, my love." I told her as I bent down next to them. I reached out and stroked my son's hair with one hand and Dixie's hair with the other.

"Good morning. I was wishing today would not come but I guess it's really here." Dixie said.

"Baby, you'll still be able to see them and be around them. They are going to be living here, if not in the clubhouse, then right next door in her trailer. You will be able to see them everyday. Who knows, she might be a love match for someone here." I told her, hoping to cheer her up.

"I know. Maybe we can babysit them sometimes. I never thought I could care for someone else's baby like I do for Sammy but if I can't get pregnant again, can we really adopt a little girl?" She asked.

"Of course baby. We can adopt a whole bunch of kids if you want." I told her.

"I just want a baby girl!" Dixie cried and hugged Sammy tightly.

"I know, baby. I'm sure God will grace us with a baby girl when the time is right. Just like he gave us Sammy." I told her.

"He is a blessing, isn't he." She said, sniffling.

"Yeah. You both are." I said.

When Bucky and Penny woke up, we fed them breakfast and then got them dressed to go to the hospital. We took our time going there but all too soon we were there. Bucky recognized the building and got so excited to see his mom again. We carried them inside, walking as slowly as possible without seeming obvious about it. All too soon we were at Jenny's door, which was standing open and there was a nurse having her sign her discharge paperwork.

"Mommy!" Bucky yelled as soon as he saw her. The smile on her face was like watching the sun come up when she saw her children. I looked at Dixie and was surprised to see that she also had a smile on her face. Bucky crawled up on the bed and threw his arms around her neck and they hugged each other. She carried Penny right over to Jenny and Penny held out her hands to her mom.