Chapter 4: Ablaze

There were a lot of things accounted for. All but for this.

What glowed brightly inside our home became a rampaging frong spitting rapidly everywhere. Raven and I took cover to see if it would calm down. At first, it didn't seem like it would, but then the commotion slowly died down. Not fully, but I felt comfortable enough to peek and see what happened. Acid was scattered on the floor, but the frong seemed to be contained. Raven had caught the thing in a jar, somehow without a scratch.

"It's okay! I got it!" She exclaims, panting.

After confirming her words, I stand up fully and sigh in relief. "Thank goodness," I let out. "You didn't get hit, did you?"

"Nah, don't think so," she replies casually, brushing off the fact that she grabbed what was basically a bomb and captured it in a jar. "I'm gonna take it outside and let it free. Somewhere that isn't near here that is."

While Raven took the frong away from the village, I carefully made sure my station wasn't harmed. Fortunately, the frong seemed to only hit the floors and ceilings. The only damage done was the house itself. There will most likely be at least small holes in the house no matter how fast I clean this up. Good thing the corrosive doesn't eat at the surface too quickly, otherwise the flooring would need to be completely replaced.

With haste, I clean every acid spot I see using an Ether resistant cloth. I look around while standing in the middle of the room, panting gently. "I think that's all of it," I say to myself in relief. And with perfect timing, Raven gets back with a smile. "All taken care of!" She says proudly. I reply with a gentle smile, knowing I can count on her. Just as I thought everything was dealt with, something above falls on Raven's cheek. An orange liquid drop that matches her hair. It hisses quietly as I my eyes widen, realizing that I had missed a spot. Raven reacts subtly at first and then panics shortly after my realization.

Chronicles of Mysteria: Anima | Vol. 1

Chapter 4: Ablaze

Original Story by Queen Ookami
Lead Editor: Evonni Carter
Supporting Editor: Coltan Roquet

My instincts kick in and wipe the acid off her as soon as possible. I made sure not to be too rough with her otherwise it would look like I'm attacking her. Raven noticed my reflexes and stayed still, waiting for me to wipe it off. It comes off clean and Raven doesn't seem to be harmed. However, upon further inspection, it would seemed to have left a small mark on her right cheek.

"Oh my gosh, that was a close one!" She exclaims, giving me a worried look. As for me, I don't respond at first and instead focus on that mark on her. "Uh, Violet? Everything okay? Oh no! Did my cheeks come off!?"

"That mark..." I tell her. "What... is that?" I reach my fingers in to feel the mark and identify what it was.

"It's probably some past injury or a burn mark," she chuckles nervously, hoping what she said was true.

"No... this isn't normal..." I reply, gently rubbing my fingers against the indescribable mark I've never seen before. "It feels sort of... bumpy. And it looks like... scales?" I say with shock as I find the words to explain to her.

"Scales!? Like a dragon!?" Raven says somewhat shocked but also somewhat excited.

"I wouldn't say 'dragon' specifically. But definitely some sort of reptile for certain," I tell her, still fixated on her mark which has now went from an ash black color, now slowly reverting back to her normal skin color. I pull my hand back as she puts her fingers on the mark. However, her reaction was not what I expected.