Shadows [Barbatos]

"Don't wake me up

Up from my dream

Let me indulge in my ecstasy

'Cuz I finally found a place like heaven where I'm safe and sound"

Don't Wake Me Up by Nico Collins
--

CONTENTS: MENTIONS AND TALKS OF SUICIDE, DEPRESSION

INFO:
MC'S name here is the default, [Yuki].

As stated in the Author's Note at the end, this is my vent. ♡

Happy Reading this absolute trash garbage (:
••••

Rhiska sighed. Today was not ideal for her.

It was said to be a simple job, hers. Simply document souls, lead them to the Gates to be judged, and move on.

But it wasn't all that simple. Every soul she encounters will have a piece of them stolen, hidden away, only to restart anew (if eligible) or be in a world where their current knowledge is useless.

She finds it especially hard to keep going when a pair of souls arrive to be sorted. A pair of souls who had lived together and died together. A pair of souls who understood each other with a single glance.

She had wondered why they kept respawning nearby.

And this was yet another day. Another simple Tuesday. But for her, it was reliving the nightmare that was her job.

As an escort for souls to the Gate, Rhiska was exceptionally talented at her job, able to connect with every soul that arrived, old, medium, young, baby, or even unconceived, it mattered not. She would put in the same amount of effort and care into ensuring each one had a chance to experience life once more.

But that was the problem.

As a result of her talent to bond, she'd become an extremely abstract puzzle that not even she was able to comprehend.

For example, last night was difficult for her. She kept walking into rooms forgetting the purpose of her visits. Exhausted from absolutely nothing, she remembered a malevolent soul's gathering outside as she drifted off.

"I have now cast a spell that will render the next person to escort us home to forget why."

At least, that's what she believed was said. Now, we'll never know.

••
•••
••

"Mammon, I told you not to mix the fruits in the basket because they'll spoil faster. Especially since this one," she held something up, "Has an appetite that rivals the one possessed by your younger brother."

"Well, it's not THAT bad. Could be worse." The demon shrugged.

"It ATE the tablecloth, Mammon! This expensive fabric you could've pawned away if everyone was broke and in debt!"

"Well, I didn't know that thing had teeth," he retorted.

She groaned in exasperation. "I'll show you the difference between these fruits and similar-looking ones from the Human World next time, okay?"

"Fiine," he agreed. "But then that'll cost ya'."

"No. It costs me my sanity just existing with everyone at this point. I don't know why I can't just die already."

Just as a headache settled in comfortably, Asmodeus rushed in, beaming.

"Rhiska! You won't believe it! Look who's on the cover!" The demon pointed out a familiar figure on the cover of Majolish's recent magazine.