21. Goodbyes

MAGNUS

"Magnus!" Laila's voice carried relief. "Where were you?"

"In the forest," he replied quietly.

"We have the ceremony.

"I am aware, Mother." Did she expect him to forget about his dead son? About his crushed pride and honor?

"Your mate is not here. I thought your brother was supposed to retrieve her, but..."

Domini. Why did Domini need to be involved in every single situation? He was good for nothing. "I will."

He wanted this to be over. The quicker, the better. This loss brought him nothing. Apparently, if he wanted anything, then he had to work for it harder than anybody else.

If not, it was all taken from him.

His footsteps were loud and heavy as he headed toward his home. Why was she there? He thought she would prefer avoiding it.

Then again, he assumed his parents' home was stained with the scent of her blood and their child.

He didn't even take a deep breath before entering the room.

"We are expected."

She lifted her gaze; their eyes met for a brief moment, but then, she glanced at his body. She was looking at the cuts.

He stretched out his hand, offering it since he knew she would struggle to walk on her own.

Magnus sighed when she showed no indication of wanting to grab his hand. He needed her out there now. There was only one thing he could do.

He stepped inside completely before grabbing her arm with his hand. He forced her on her feet, and then he regretted it.

When she stood, the scent of death and loss was obvious as it clung to her, imprinted on her skin and in her womb.

Nonetheless, he dragged her outside. It was not until he heard her whimper that he realized he had pushed her too far.

Magnus released her arm and instead slid it around her waist to help her walk since she could not do it on her own.

Her feelings were suffocating him from the inside, but his face remained stoic. He was almost grateful by the time they reached his mother's side.

Laila never took her eyes off Katalin as she handed the pair a torch that had already been lit on fire. One of them had to do it.

Not once did Katalin even attempt it, and Magnus decided to take responsibility. He retrieved the fire from his mother before dropping it into the vase.

Luckily, the scent of the blood was powerful and almost covered every other scent completely. Except for Magnus and, he assumed, Katalin.

Their noses knew what was inside. They were all forced to wait there until there was nothing more than ashes inside.

Her legs wobbled and were ready to give up. Magnus leaned into her, ready to hold her up once more, but she extended her arm in front of him and shook her head. "No."

Very well.

Minutes passed, the sky retaining its dull grey hue until the light within the vase extinguished. A faint black smoke rose, and tears spilled from Katalin's eyes.

Laila stepped back, signaling Magnus to carry the vase to the river. Ignoring her gaze, he moved forward, with Katalin stumbling behind, unable to keep her balance.

Laila hovered behind, ready to catch her if she fell; Katalin shouldn't be on her feet.

Magnus decided that carrying the vase was worse; the scent was overwhelming. He quickened his pace, reaching the water swiftly.