12. A male's duty

MAGNUS

Magnus' attention shifted as the distinct scent of his mother wafted in before she even entered the room.

While usually a comforting presence, he sensed that this visit was driven more by duty than affection.

Laila peeked through the doorway, a polite smile adorning her features. "Is she well?"

"Yes, Mother. The healer is attending to her bandages."

Nodding, Laila entered the room without invitation. "I assume you didn't find time for your assigned task."

Magnus took a deep breath, his nostrils flaring. There was no need for pretense; his mother's agenda was clear. "I have not had the opportunity. She's in considerable pain from her injuries."

"Did she take the medicine?"

"Yes."

"Good. It should take effect soon. Did she consume the entire dose?"

"Yes, Mother."

A disapproving glance from Laila conveyed her disappointment, the scent of it hanging in the air. "You know I'm doing this for the greater good of our people and our lineage."

Instead of verbalizing a response, Magnus offered a subtle nod. His desire to fulfill his duty warred with the challenges presented by Katalin's apparent stubbornness or frequent injuries.

Balancing these conflicting elements within the tight timeframe before their departure proved to be a formidable task.

His mother's hands rested on his shoulders as she approached, a gesture loaded with unspoken directives.

"Once she returns, I'll ensure no one disturbs the two of you. It'll give you ample time to complete the task at hand, son."

Though more of a veiled command than a mere suggestion, both were aware that she couldn't compel him. While respect and adherence to her rules were expected, his father held the ultimate authority.

Yet, completing the assigned task seemed to be the only viable solution.

A disquieting sensation settled in Magnus's stomach as he questioned the necessity of such actions. "I believe that will suffice, Mother."

Laila seemed poised to offer a retort, but their conversation was interrupted by approaching footsteps. Katalin entered the room, and Laila swiftly distanced herself from Magnus.

Rushing to Katalin's side, Laila seized her hands. "You look much improved, my dear."

Katalin's gaze shifted between Laila and Magnus, a wariness evident in her eyes. Had his mother broached the delicate topic with her?

"Thank you. I do feel better."

"Wonderful. Now, I believe it would be most appropriate for the two of you to spend some time together before Magnus leaves. What do you think, Katalin?"

Katalin likely felt constrained in her response. "Mother, that will be all."

Laila released Katalin's hand, offering a smile to Magnus. "Of course, son."

She squeezed Katalin's arm before making a graceful exit, ensuring the door closed with a deliberate loudness.

Magnus harbored no doubts—his mother would uphold her promise; no one would disturb them, and leaving might not be an option.

Wonderful.

His mother hadn't provided details about the effects of the potion Katalin had consumed. Was he supposed to notice a change? Should he initiate something for the potion's effects to manifest?