15. Bloody Attack

KATALIN

A secondary silhouette emerged in the room.

Throughout the day, Sasha had clung to Katalin, allowing her scarce moments alone even for the most basic needs. Katalin almost yearned for the usual distant presence of Magnus.

At least he maintained a respectful distance most of the time.

Yet, the circumstances presented an ironic facade, making it seem as though Katalin was the one trailing behind.

With no assigned tasks and Laila exhibiting a palpable fear of Katalin collapsing again, she found herself merely observing Sasha's daily routine.

An educational experience, albeit an exasperating one.

Now confined to a table indoors, Katalin methodically cut vegetables and packed provisions, preparing for the possibility that their situation might not unfold as intended.

In essence, she found herself playing the role of a dutiful female, confined to the kitchen.

"Sasha!"

Both women turned, and Katalin couldn't help but frown as she witnessed a man approaching. She recognized him as one of the healers.

He came to a stop a few paces away and deftly retrieved a small green vial from his brown sash.

He handed it to Sasha. "I regret not having it ready at sunrise, but leaving the premises was challenging."

Sasha snatched the vial, a tight smile gracing her lips. "Do not let it happen again; I need this."

He nodded, drew a deep breath, and bowed. "My apologies."

"Leave."

Sasha seemed far too consumed with Domini to be involved in illicit affairs...

Sasha pursed her lips, casting a brief glance in Katalin's direction before swiftly consuming the liquid in the vial. She then tucked the empty vial into her corset.

Did she genuinely expect Katalin to have no questions?

"We have tried many moons. Nothing takes. I sought healers, but... there should not be an issue."

Huh?

"I have ingested numerous potions, many stronger than the one you had."

Oh.

She couldn't conceive. Katalin had heard whispers, wondered about the escalating pressure.

While Magnus was the heir apparent, it still perplexed her why Domini hadn't secured the survival of his father's bloodline by having children.

This explained it.

Sasha's demeanor towards her had not always been amiable, and from the outset, she had formed a misconstrued impression.

However, Katalin couldn't fathom the stress Sasha lived under, a burden she wouldn't wish on anyone.

"I believe Domini is upset. He will not admit it, and he won't hold me responsible, but he desires a cub of his own."

This felt like an uncomfortably personal conversation—one they hadn't shared before.

Once the dam was open, it seemed impossible to close. Katalin was unsure of how to proceed. Should she maintain silence and let Sasha unburden herself, or should she offer comforting words?

The prospect of her and Magnus not conceiving did not weigh heavily on Katalin. It was acceptable.

"I know he would never betray me. He loves me. But what if I cannot give him a cub? He will have to obtain one from someone else, and that will mean I am not enough."