Part 3

"I've missed you too, [Y/N]." Neither of us can stop smiling. I grab his wrist and pull him outside to the fire pit. Carmen and I set up some chairs around it earlier, and we sit down.

            "How's high school treating ya?" he asks with his deep, slightly slurred English accent that I just now noticed.

            "High school sucks, especially since I don't get to see you!" I have a small smile and look at him. He's smiling too.

            "Do you want to walk around?" He asks me.

            "Sure, let me just get my jacket." I run over to Carmen and see her flirting with Matt. I whisper in her ear saying that I'll tell her everything that's happened later. She nods her head. I go to Carmen's room, and open the door to a couple making out.

            "Oh my god, really? Gross. Get out." They glare at me and walk out, hand in hand. I just realized that the girl, whom I have never seen before, was wearing my jacket. I follow the couple out of the room and find them making out again, but this time on a random chair. I give up on getting my jacket for now – I'll get it back later.

            I walk back outside and stand up next to Harry's chair "Let's go."

            "Where's your jacket?"

            "I... couldn't find it."

            "Haha, okay. You're gonna be cold! Take mine, babe." He knows how cliché he sounds, and a grin appears on his face.

            "Yeah yeah yeah, I know." I pause, realizing what he had just said. "Seriously? Oh my god, you're so cheesy." He takes off his purple Jack Wills sweatshirt, hands it to me, and I slide it on. It's so warm and big on me, but extremely comfortable. We start walking around Carmen's backyard - it's huge and has trees and bushes everywhere.

            "How come I never see you at parties?" he turns his head to look at me while we're walking.

            "I don't know, I've become surprisingly antisocial since middle school." I let out a short laugh. "This is actually my first real high school party, and I'm only invited because Carmen is my best friend."

            "Oh."

I stop and think of a subject to bring up. "So who's your girlfriend?"

            "What?"

            "Oh, come on. I know you have a girlfriend. I mean, look at you!"

            "Look at me? Look at you!" I feel my cheeks getting red. I hope the darkness hides my blushing.

            "You're funny."

            "No I'm not."

            "Uhh, yes you are! Hey. You didn't answer my question."

            "I don't have a girlfriend. Now you have to tell me – who are you dating?"

            "See? You're hilarious!" I let out a laugh, pausing. "I... don't have one."

            "You're joking."

            "Nope."

            "Wow."

            "What?"

            "Well, I mean, you've been in high school for two years and you still don't have a boyfriend? I don't see how that is possibly possible." He's so cheeky.

            "I don't know. There aren't many boys who like me, and I'm not particularly desperate." We walk around slowly and don't say anything for about a minute.

            "What are you thinking about?" he says to break the silence.

            "Nothing." I stop. "Actually, I am thinking about something. I probably shouldn't tell you about this but here I go – I made a bet with Carmen that nothing 'romantic'," I do the quotation marks in the air with my fingers, "would happen to me tonight."

            "Really?" He laughs.

            "Yeah. I know it sounds dumb but Car and I are always doing stuff like that and it's just more fun for us. Hey, this is my first high school party, cut me some slack!" I slap him playfully on the arm.

            "So who do you think is gonna win that bet?" He stops walking and turns to me.

            "Well I mean obviously Carmen is going to win, my last boyfriend was in sixth grade and that didn't go very well so like what boys like me? It' not like I'm the most charismatic, perfect girl out there. I mean I'm not even all that pre—" he interrupts me.

            "No. Don't say that. Don't put yourself down like that. Don't put yourself down in any way. You are perfect, babe."

            I look down at my shoes. No one's ever told me that, or anything like it. He puts his hand under my chin and slowly pushes my head up, until my eyes meet his. He leans in close to me and whispers, "You're about to lose a bet," and smiles.

            Suddenly, we hear a loud, piercing scream.

            Then laughter.

            We both look over to the patio, where the scream came from. Someone spilt salsa all over Carmen's jet black dress. I sigh, then turn back to face Harry.

            "Oh, fuck it." I whisper then sigh. We both smile when Harry leans in closer to me. I feel his supple lips run into mine. I put my arms around his neck to assure myself from tumbling on the ground. He slides his hands on my waist then onto the small of my back, and we just stand there, kissing -- not thinking about anyone or anything.

            Just us.