seven | two promises

✿

THE NIGHT ENDED WITH COLIN Bridgerton kissing Josie's hand with that charming smile on his face. If they didn't have an audience, Josie would be glowering at him. For once, she was relieved to be blushing, hoping she was making a show of it.

But Josie was pale come to her return to her bedroom. Edward and Freddie had followed, where one was silent and the other trying not to laugh. With wide eyes, Josie waited, expecting a scolding.

"When did this start?" Edward demanded.

"When did what start?" Josie questioned, innocently.

"You and Colin Bridgerton," said Edward, stepping closer to his sister with his eyes round, frantic with anger, but surprised too. "Did something happen in Greece?"

Josie felt her heart thud faster. "Like what?"

Edward's attention snapped to Freddie. "Freddie, tell me. Now."

"Tell you what?" Freddie questioned, keeping his facial expression confused with Josie so thankful for him. "The last I knew, Colin and Josie despised each other. Trust me, brother, tonight is a real shock for me too."

"Nothing happened in Greece," Josie insisted.

"They'll be talk about it," said Edward, pinching the bridge of his nose with an exasperated sigh. "That Whistledown will write about it for sure."

"But nothing—"

"It doesn't matter," Edward cut his sister off, keeping his voice quiet as they were far from being alone in the house. "I will ask you again, Josie: when did this start?"

"I don't know," Josie answered, wrapping her arms around herself. "I... I once loved Colin when I was young and then... he hurt me. Now, after spending time with him again, I've come to realise that maybe I could love him again."

"And what about Lord Bridgerton?" Freddie demanded, not completely buying Josie's words as he knew what she was like. "You are a Sinclair, Josie — we always have the very best. You are supposed to be Lady Bridgerton."

"I would rather have love than a title," Josie decided, keeping her chin high. "I'm sorry, Edward, but Antony is not the right Bridgerton for me."

Edward looked away with Josie knowing she was screwing up whatever plans he had, but there was nothing he could do.

"Do you not want me to marry for love, Edward?" Josie questioned.

"I want the best for you," Edward told her. "But tonight could have ruined that, so let's just hope this works out in your favour with Colin."

Then, with that, Edward left Josie's room with the door closing behind him. Josie sighed, rolling her eyes at her brother's dramatics, but Freddie still had his eyes on her.