Starting Over

"How you doing, kid?" Rossi asks on their return flight after the case.

"I've been better." She says quietly with a sad smile.

"We're here for you." He says. She holds her hand out to him with a smile as he grabs it.

"Thank you."

He leans forward, "don't worry about Linda Barnes, there's not much she can do to you."

"She can try." Nella says with a smirk that makes Rossi laugh as he sits back.

"Yeah, she can."

When the quinjet lands they all get out and head to the elevator. Garcia is waiting for them with a smile as they walk in, Derek wrapping his arm around her as they walk towards their desk. Nella followed slightly behind them with a smile. The cases might have taken a toll on them but watching them still find a way to smile warmed her heart.

"You've got to be kidding me." Nella growls lowly when she sees Linda Barnes waiting for them in the meeting room. It's been a month and while she stayed away Nella knew that Emily had to explain every situation to her after a case. The fact that she was here for no reason was a bit concerning considering she seemed to have files in her hand. Rossi and Emily shook their heads at them before heading into the room.

"I don't like this." Penelope says sadly, putting her hand on Derek's shoulder.

"I know BabyGirl but there is nothing we can do about it."

After a few minutes Linda leaves, heading out the BAU without sparing them a look.

"What's going on?" Reid asks after a moment.

"Nothing to worry about tonight." Emily says tiredly. "Everyone go home."

After a moment everyone starts to head to their desk before heading out. Nella sits down to finish a report quickly when she sees Reid standing next to her.

"Hey." She says with a smile.

"Hey. You want to grab something to eat?"

"Sure!" She says, "let me finish this."

He nods his head before heading to his desk to wait for her. When she's done she looks up with a smile motioning to him that she's ready. He gives her a shy half smile as he stands up putting his book down.

"So what sounds good?" Nella asks with a smile when they step into the elevator.

"I was hoping you'd have an idea?" He asks.

She laughs, "Mexican food it is."

They make small talk once they reach the restaurant placing their orders. Nella orders a mango margarita with a wink to Reid who looks curiously at her. It isn't until halfways through the main course that Reid says what's been on his mind for a while.

"You know you could've told me." He says quietly. "I would've understood you weren't ready to date."

Nella sighs, "Garcia told you?"

"Don't be mad at her or Derek and Rossi. They told us about Bucky."

Nella fidgets with her hands before sighing, "I didn't realize it was a date." She says softly before laughing sadly.

"You had a memory of him right now?" Reid asks.

"Yeah." She says shaking her head as she looks up at Reid. "We went on 10 "dates" I total before we both realized I had no idea they were dates." Reid laughs a little with her. "He brought me flowers, took me dancing and dinner and...I was so clueless!" She shakes her head, tears in her eyes as she continues to laugh. "Then it stopped. He thought I wasn't interested so he started to distance himself, when I confronted him, well..."

"BUCKY!" Nella yells, opening his room door hard. He's sitting on his bed in his workout clothes but doesn't look up. "Why are you avoiding me?"

Bucky sighs, "I just need time." He says softly.

"From me?" Nella asks, putting her hand on her heart, shock coming from her in waves.

"Yeah just please." He whispers.

"What did I do?" She asks, a bit panicked.

"Nella please just...I need time ok. I get it you don't feel the same but..."

"Feel the same about what?" She asks, taking a step closer to him. He pauses before looking up at her in shock.

"Nella...the last few times we've gone out, why do you think we did?"

"Because you like dancing?" She asks, confused, stopping right in front of him. Bucky starts to laugh, bending over.

"Oh my god Sam was right." He finally says standing up.

"Say that again?" Nella says teasingly. Her heart stops when he smiles at her, cupping her face gently in his hands.

"Fuck Nella. I was trying to court you."

"What?" She whispers.

"Sam told me I wasn't being obvious. You didn't know we were on dates but-"

"Oh my god!" Nella screams her mind racing as she thinks back to every moment. "Oh my god they were dates!"

Bucky chuckles, nodding his head, "yeah and I thought you didn't feel the same."

Nella opens and closes her mouth before leaning forward to kiss him. She pulls back quickly blushing as he stares at her with parted lips. His hand moves to the back of her head pulling her in for a deeper kiss.

Nella shakes her head, pulling herself from her memory. "Well then it got resolved."

"How long were you with him?" Reid asks softly.

"A little more than 2 years." She says looking up at him. "But we'd known each other for 4."

"I'm sorry." Reid says softly. Nella shrugs her shoulders not looking up at him. Reid reaches over, grabbing her hands gently. "Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go. But rather, learning to start over."

Nella looks up with a sad smile and tears in her eyes. "Yeah, it really is."

An hour later they head out the restaurant talking excitedly about the next movie marathon planned.

Over the next month Reid and Nella get closer, meeting for coffee or outings with Penelope and Derek. Reid was half in love with Nella but he was patient, waiting for when she was ready.