two

CAMDEN'S POINT OF VIEW:

XAVIER STOOD BESIDE WEDNESDAY'S BED, looking down at her as we waited for her to wake up again. I was sitting on the edge of the empty medical bed beside hers, fiddling with my thumbs as we waited.

She lay on the bed with her arms crossed over her body, hands resting on her shoulders. Just like a corpse would.

Her eyes suddenly opened, filled with confusion as she looked up at Xavier who was now smiling at her.

He's gonna creep her out. I thought to myself, mentally sighing to myself.

He stood back and took a seat in the chair next to her bed as she quickly sat up, lowering her arms from their crossed state.

"Just take it easy," he told her as he sat down, "Nurse said you don't have a concussion, but you probably have a nasty bump, huh?"

"The last thing I remember I was walking outside feeling a mixture of rage, pity and self-disgust," she explained to neither of us in particular, not making eye contact until she had finished her sentence. "I've never felt that way before," she added, with the tiniest tilt of her head.

I chuckled slightly, looking over at her, "Losing to Bianca has that sort of effect on people," I commented, familiar with the emotions she had described.

"Then I looked up and saw that gargoyle coming down and I thought, at least I'll have an imaginative death," she asserted, before looking up at Xavier, "Then you tackled me out of the way. Why?"

Xavier shuffled in his seat slightly and gave her a small shrug, "Call it instinct,"

She didn't seem to believe him — or not fully at least. "So you were guided by latent chivalry, the tool of the patriarchy to extract my undying gratitude?"

"He didn't do it for your "undying gratitude". It was just the right thing to do," I but in, slightly annoyed with her emotionless talk and lack of gratitude.

"He's not wrong. Most people just say thank you," Xavier added afterwards. "I didn't want to be rescued," she quipped.

"So I should of just let that thing smash you to smush?" he interjected before she disagreed with him one more, "I would have rather saved myself,"

Xavier scoffed slightly to himself, looking over at her, "Good to see you haven't changed," Wednesday looked down slightly, not showing much emotion per say, but her eyes held a drop of confusion.

"If it makes you feel any better, let's just say I returned the favour," he reassured her somewhat. I knew what he was talking about; the funeral when they were younger. He'd explained the story to me when we had found out that Wednesday would be coming to Nevermore.

"Xavier Thorpe? You probably don't remember me. Last time we met, I was about 2 feet shorter, 40 pounds heavier," he explained to her, "What happened?" she asked immediately.

I looked over my shoulder, looking around at the sick bay in curiosity and boredom. The thought of leaving these two to talk had entered my mind numerous times, but for some reason I hadn't. I dunno if it was guilt because I didn't act sooner and try to help — even though Xavier easily got her out of the way from the gargoyle — so I felt I should stay, or what.

"-happened the last time we met?" I heard Wednesday's voice as I focused in on their conversation again, looking in between the two as they spoke.

"Oh... uh, it was my godmother's funeral. Apparently she was friends with your grandmother, and they spent their twenties in Europe, swindling the rich and notorious," he explained to her, shuffling around in his seat.

"I don't know but we were ten and we were bored, decided to play hide and seek, I had the inspired idea to hide in her casket. I got stuck as it was headed to the crematorium-"

"I'd heard muffled screams," Wednesday but in, clearly remembering what had happened now, "I just figured your godmother had cheated death and was trying to claw her way out,"

"Well either way, you hit the big red stop button and saved me from being flame-broiled. So... now we're even," Xavier told her, gesturing with his hands when he said they were even.

LATER . . .

I sat in my dorm which I shared with Xavier and Rowan; it was uncommon for dorms to be occupied by three students but we had a fairly large dorm and at the time when I arrived there weren't enough spots so they made the exception.

It was currently late at night and Rowan had just left the dorm, telling me that he had to go talk to Miss. Thornhill about an assignment and that if Weems came by and asked where he was that was why.

Xavier was also out of the dorm as he had gone to continue working on the raven painting out in the yard.

I had the book from earlier today sitting in front of me.

I hadn't been able to stop thinking about it throughout the day and had made a sudden decision to head back to the library to borrow it. However there weren't any librarians at the time so one might say I stole it.

La maison perdue de ...

"The lost house of what, exactly?" I asked myself aloud.

I grabbed the leather book, and unclipped the small metal buckle that sealed the book shut. I read over the first page, all of which was mostly written with scribbly handwriting in French, however there were parts that were Japanese.

Those I couldn't read.

"Fuck," I cursed. If the rest of the book — or whatever this was — is written in a mix of languages then I'm going to take a long time to figure out what this mystery is.

— AUTHORS NOTE

I actually updated this lmao

Anyways, I'm going to leave you all wondered what the hell Camden found.