15

By the time they reached the row of police vehicles parked near an alley not even a block from Jennie's apartment, the euphoria of Lisa's declaration of love had all but faded, leaving Jennie unsettled about what this crime scene would bring. Though she'd seen some terrible things over the course of her career, especially while hunting the serial murderer Charles Dunning, Jennie had never experienced trepidation like this when faced with the prospect of examining a body. Quite the opposite, in fact. Usually she felt a sense of purpose, even excitement that she might be able to help bring a killer to justice.

Tonight all that gripped her was disquiet.

Why dump a body so close to her apartment, on a well-traveled residential street? Was it merely chance? Or had the killer done it on purpose? If he was the man who attacked her in the park, he had her wallet. That meant he knew where she lived. Was he sending a message?

Threatening her? But if he wanted to hurt her, why not just come after her instead? Was it because she hadn't been home? If she hadn't been at Lisa's place tonight, would Irene be standing over Jennie's dead body now?

"Everything will be okay." Parking near the curb, Lisa put a hand on Jennie's knee. "You and Irene will catch this guy. I know it."

Jennie nodded resolutely. "Hopefully before he kills another one." What she didn't say out loud was Like me.

"You don't know that this was the same guy." Lisa was obviously reaching, desperate to assuage Jennie's anxiety. "You don't know that he chose this location on purpose."

"You're right." Taking a deep breath, Jennie exhaled, centering herself. "Time to go find out."

Lisa stopped her with a hand on Jennie's wrist. "Should I wait for you?"

Technically, Irene could drive her to work. But Jennie liked the idea of having Lisa close, especially when she suspected that this would be a difficult crime scene. "How about you give me a few minutes until I know what we're dealing with here. If it looks like it'll take a long time, I'll let you know."

"I can wait as long as it takes." Lisa gave her a brave nod. "Don't worry about me."

Jennie kissed Lisa soundly, then she pulled back with a small, forced laugh. "Wish me luck."

"I'm pretty sure you don't need it, but good luck." Lisa waved her away. "Go be a super-smart crime solver, will you?"

"Yes, ma'am." Jennie opened the passenger door and stepped out, meeting Irene's gaze instantly. Irene stood on the sidewalk with her arms folded over her chest, a very unsubtle glare on her face. She shifted her focus to Lisa and scowled harder. Irritated, Jennie closed the car door and strode over to Irene with her shoulders thrown back, pretending to project confidence, at least. "Get up on the wrong side of the bed?"

Irene's sober expression didn't waver. "Lisa. What a surprise."

"Get over it."

"You two spending every night together now?" Irene glanced over Jennie's shoulder, shooting an icy-cold stare in the direction of Lisa's car.

Stepping close to Irene, Jennie lowered her voice so none of the cops around them would hear. "This is the last time I'm going to say this, so listen well. Back the hell off. You want to be my friend? I'll give you a tip. Treating Lisa like some kind of animal who's pissing on your turf is not the way to do it."

"That's not my problem with her."

"Oh, really?" Jennie folded her arms over her chest. "Enlighten me, then. What has Lisa done to offend you, besides fucking me?"

Irene blinked rapidly, clearly taken aback by her crude language.

"Christ, Jennie."

Tired of Irene's jealous act, Jennie pinched the bridge of her nose, wishing she still wore glasses so she could push them up. "Listen, it's early, I'm exhausted, and quite frankly I'm pretty damn freaked out about this murder. Can we just go see the body now?"