Memory: Voice

2076, 1 month, 2 weeks post Maine.

David Martinez

Looking into the mirror, the glass activated and reflected myself against it.

I had just gotten some new chrome, skin plating, some muscle reinforcers, and Maine's arms.

My skin glistened, and my wet hair drooped down the side, wearing nothing apart from my towel wrapped around my waist.

Lookin good Martinez.

Walking back toward the couch, a Japanese silk robe laid on the floor, thin, and soft.

Lucy had surprised me with it last night, and speaking of, she still laid bare in bed.

I was hoping the sounds of the shower or the smells of breakfast would awaken her, but after last night? Not really surprised she's still asleep.

But something was off, she was grunting, thrashing softly in her sleep.

I walked over to check on her, make sure she was okay.

She had tears slowly well in her eyes, and was muttering my name softly under her breath.

"David..."

I slowly ran my fingers through her hair, while grasping her hand with my other one, slowly moving my thumb across her palm.

"I'm here... I'm here mi amor..."

A soft yelp escaped her lips as she shot herself up.

"David..."

Her eyes were shit open, showing nothing but fear.

"Nightmares again?"

"Y-Yeah..."

"Don't worry Luce... I'm here... Get showered ok? You might feel better."

"Ok... Ok... C-can you come in with me?"

"But I've just showered not even-"

"Please David..."

"Yeah...-" I held her face with my hand. "-Yeah, I can."

1 hour later.

I softly strum the strings on my guitar. Lucy had laid her head against my thigh.

I had wrapped her bare torso with my jacket, while I wore just boxers.

We had turned the radio off because of the dickhead news reporter constantly interrupting whenever something decent actually comes on, so instead, I played the melody to our favourite song.

Lucy had caught on, and sat up next to me, resting her head against my shoulder.

And then, the most beautiful voice I had heard, began to sing lyrics to my melodies.

"So... Get away..."

I paused playing to look her in the eyes, never had I heard how beautiful her singing really was.

"I'm sorry David... I shouldn't-"

"No... It was just... Beautiful..."

I began to play again, and after feeling a small kiss against my cheek, and a soft thank you from her, she began to sing again.

"Another way to feel, what you didn't want yourself to know-"

And let yourself go.
y déjate llevar

You know you didn't lose your self contro-ol
Sabes que no perdiste tu autocontrol

Let's start at the rainbow...
Empecemos por el arcoiris...

Turn away.
Rechazar.

Another way to be where you didn't want yourself to go.
Otra forma de estar donde no querías estar

Let yourself go.
Déjate llevar.

I stared into her eyes as she began to sit on me, and after one last strum of the guitar...

"Is that a compromise?"

...We locked lips, feeling each other up and down.

I pressed my mouth against her chest, as she always liked, but instead, I was greeted with a soft push.

"David... Never change... Please..."

"I won't Luce... I'll always be me..."

But for her sake, that's what I was scared of.

Author note:
I'm obviously not a native Spanish speaker, so, incredibly sorry if the translations are incorrect.