Prologue

The steady rhythm of my horse's gallops tracing our path from mission to mission, and the compensating bloodshed of the odd jobs of a hired mercenary were the only factors that kept me from falling apart at the start of each day. It was almost laughable; a merciless assassin, once upon a time deemed the best among my peers, yet I had still somehow fallen into a crippling depression when the fate I so proudly bestowed upon countless innocents had finally come to doom my comrades. My only family. It has been seven grueling months since then, and what everyone anticipated to be a time of celebration for us, was everything but. Well, at least for me. Having accomplished the assassination of an Emperor, you would think someone of my, um, line of work, would be joyous. Maybe I would have been, if only the wretched royal guard of a dead man hadn't cornered us like rats in a cage. It was... humiliating, to say the least. The fact that having taken on such a contract would obviously come with the most treacherous of risks, that a whole coven of trained assassins failed to take into consideration was pathetic. Needles to say, after everything transpired, I decided I couldn't be there anymore. I didn't want to hear Her whispers any longer. Not after what happened the las time we followed Her lead. Astrid was right; the Dark Brotherhood never needed a Listener to continue its existence. Of course we don't, we were just fine before I came along, so I left. Some might say that I'm a coward for "running from my responsibilities". Honestly, call me whatever you want, I don't care. All I know is, I won't allow myself to ruin anything ever again.