Chapter 23

It felt like someone had dropped a pile of heavy stones atop my head. It ached horribly, the pounding almost too loud for me to think through. But slowly, gradually, thoughts did come to me.

First, the sweet relief that came with the realization that I was still alive. I could feel my body was still here, all limbs attached, heart still pumping steadily in my chest. My snakes tucked themselves into my collar, seemingly too exhausted to slither about. I did not blame them. It felt like I'd been asleep for days, yet I was still so tired.

I let my thoughts grow thin and foggy, content to fall back asleep for a while longer. Until one thought rose to the surface unbidden, so urgent and overwhelming that my whole body froze in sudden horror.

I was alive, which meant that I had taken the nectar. Perseus had listened to my instructions and managed to complete them even without his eyesight. My stomach sunk like a stone at the implication of that: he must have needed to draw close to me to make me swallow the nectar, so dangerously close... The probable sequence of events flashed before my eyes like lighting in a summer storm. Perseus, kneeling down to help me drink the nectar, and a stray snake from my hair brushing against his hand. He would have flinched away, first in shock and confusion, and then in dawning terror and revulsion as he realized who I was- what I was.

I sat up in bed in an instant, flinging the blankets away. They felt like they were suffocating me, and my breath came in shorter and shorter gasps as panic threatened to overwhelm me. He knows, he knows, he knows. The thought boomed over and over in my head. My gaze searched the room frantically, but he wasn't there.

No, of course not, my mind spat with poison. He's run as far away from you as possible. Why would he stay here now that he's realized he's been living with such a despicable monster?

I leaned forward and put my head in my hands, struggling to slow my breathing and to stop myself from retching onto the floor. I felt nauseous. I felt terrified. How would he survive on the island blind without me? He'd need food and shelter, none of which he had. And animals and other creatures could attack him. I needed to find him, to make sure he was safe. I needed to-

"Are you awake?"

My feet were half way out of the bed when his voice arrested me. Not even daring to believe my ears, I slowly lifted my gaze. He entered through the temple entrance, using his walking stick to guide him toward my bedside. I stared at him. He was here. He hadn't run away. I swallowed thickly, suddenly unable to find my voice. Could my luck really be so great? Had he really not discovered the truth?

"Yes," I answered belatedly. My voice still held a harsh rasp to it, my throat still horribly sore.

"I just went to the garden. That's why I was out," he said. He sat upon the low stool next to the bed, and placing a small basket on the floor. I noticed it for the first time, peering at it curiously. "I tried to remember the right herbs and flowers, the ones that had healing properties. I thought they could help... but it was hard to find the right ones based on just touch and smell." He heaved a sigh of frustration, running a hand through his hair. I leaned over to look at the basket's contents. He was right- the basket was more a mixture of various plants and flowers than anything else. "I just needed to feel like I was doing something helpful. I was terrified. You were screaming and thrashing, and I prayed that I'd given you the right vial but I couldn't know for sure. It was maddening." Before I could say anything, find some words of comfort or assurance, his hand darted out and found mine. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I'm sorry for being so useless."

"Stop," I said firmly. I squeezed his hand in mine. "I wouldn't be here if you hadn't been there to give me the anti-venom. None of this is your fault."

I hesitated before asking my next question, but quickly gave in. I hated to ask him, but I had to. "Perseus," I said reluctantly. "Do you... Are there any gods who may have a grudge against you?"

He didn't take offense to the question or even seem bothered by it. He merely shrugged. "Not that I know of. But it's always a possibility. Those men I killed in the battle you saw- they were argive men, and the city of Argos is sacred to Hera and blessed by Apollo." His lips quirked into a brief, ironic smile. "It's hard to keep track of how many gods I might have offended over the years."

He was right about that. The egos of gods were so thin that they often seemed more like children than beings who had lived for thousands of years. Nevertheless, I had a sinking feeling that the scorpion had not been by a god angry at Perseus. No, I suspected the goddess who sent it was one I was already quite familiar with. My hands clenched into fists at my sides, my heart beating fast in both anger and fear.

Athena, I thought bitterly. She must be behind this. Perhaps she was upset that I had found a bit of happiness, however temporary, with Perseus at my side. Perhaps she was simply bored and thought to torment me even further. The exact reason didn't matter. It was her doing all the same.

Perseus' broke my pensive silence, his voice filled with as much hesitation as mine. "Andromeda," he said. "Have you angered a god?"

No, I wanted to reply. I have done nothing, but Athena is cruel. I am my mother's punishment. Athena, for all her wisdom, has no qualms about making the innocent suffer.

I could not reveal too much to him, lest I accidentally give myself away. But this one thing I could at least admit.

"Goddess," I murmured to correct him.

Perseus let out a low growl, a sound of rage and frustration. "The Olympians spare no one," he muttered.

"Shh," I admonished him. "Say nothing more. You don't know who's listening."

The expression of fury and frustration didn't leave, but he did not say anything more. My gaze drifted down to the place where our hands touched, his fingers still wrapped firmly around mine. I closed my eyes, imagining I could memorize this feeling, the warmth and the sweetness of it, the way every point of contact between us sent my heart thudding even louder in my chest.

How will I let him go? I bemoaned, cursing my own foolishness. I let myself grow too attached, too fond. And now my heart would break when he left, no matter if he discovered me or not. The thought of being without him again after having known the happiness of his presence seemed like its own kind of torture.

I slowly opened my eyes, allowing myself to take in his features. The beautiful pale blue of his eyes, the sharp tilt of his nose, long lashes and strong cheekbones, chestnut brown hair that curled softly at the nape of his neck. He was breathtaking. All he had to do was blink, lashes fluttering against his cheek, and he stole the air from my lungs. It was unfair for anyone to have such a power, yet he wielded it over me without even realizing it.

I inhaled deeply and shoved such thoughts aside. They would only hurt more the longer I dwelled on them. Better to forget them now, to avoid them until they were truly unavoidable. For now, practical things took precedence.

"You haven't eaten since yesterday, have you?" I started to stand up from the bed. "Let me get us something to eat-"

"No." His brow furrowed, his expression stern. "You need to rest. The venom may be gone, but your body was put through a lot of stress. For today, you should recover your strength. Let me take care of things." He paused, flashing me a winsome smile. "Think of it as me returning the favor for when you healed me. I'm simply repaying a small portion of my debt to you." He inclined his head to me with a sly smile- a teasing imitation of a bow- and went to do as he said.

I let him go, slowly laying back down on the bed. My empty hand closed slowly into a fist, already missing his hand in mine.