Chapter 10

"Watch out!" said Hailey bringing my arm closer to hers, seeing a skater losing their balance.

"Thanks, for grabbing me in time" replied Maya skating in time with her friends without falling.

The DJ in the booth starts playing a more upbeat song, causing more people to skate inside the ring.

"C'mon Maya this is your favorite song"announced Hailey skating further and further away from me.

"I don't know Hailey, what if I fall flat on my face,"she said now feeling a bit self-conscious of herself.

"You'll be fine, Maya have some faith in yourself"responded Hailey skating in the ring with such ease, like a graceful figure skater.

I let my body move to the beat of the music, lost in my world skating with nothing stopping me.

Hailey stops roller skating and watches me in pure awe.

FLASH!

The flash of her camera light causes me to stop in my tracks.

Sorry about the flash, M you did great by the way Hailey proclaimed while turning off the flash in the camera app on her phone.

"Really? I think I was a bit lost in my world"

"Hey, you wanna get something to eat?" she said heading over to the counter and looking at the menu.

"No, thanks I'm good" replied Chanel heading over to an empty table, her body slumped against the cushion.

Neon strobe lights cast shadows across the bare ceiling, and the music was loud enough to lose your hearing for life.

But an overall fun place to be when life gets tough, and escape reality for once.

I watch skaters glide inside the rink, with nothing to fear while others fail miserably.

The image before blurs together like a picture, waiting for a camera to capture it before it's gone.

Me and Hailey munching on greasy pepperoni pizza, with cups of sprite shocking our system despite every sip.

My hands were covered in oily residue, making me feel dirty.

We return our skates to the counter, with an employee wearing a black and white uniform with eyes saying "I just wanna go home and not deal with this bullshit."

"Hey, thanks for inviting me out Hailey I needed it," said Chanel pushing the door handle forward, and walking out into the night.

"You're welcome I'll see you tomorrow at school" replied Hailey heading out into the night.

Silence fills the space up to the brim, almost overflowing the sky itself.

"Hey, seems you had lots of fun tonight," said Everett his voice sounding a bit hoarse, stepping out from the shadows of the dim moonlit night.

"Everett, what happened to you?!" replied Maya scanning his face with bruises and streaks of blood, her face filled with worry.

She doesn't need to know, even if this secret will kill me instead of her...