Prologue

"Mum, no, I don't wanna go to school," the freckled boy cried, clinging to his mother like a koala.

The teacher strode over with a forced toothy grin and looked at the teary-eyed kid.

"You're Felix, aren't you?" she extended her hand, and her grin grew forcibly wider.

Felix sniffed and cried louder, nuzzling his small face into his mother's neck. His mother sighed and pried the small boy from her grasp and gave him his backpack, looking him up and down as she inspected his uniform that was a tad too big.

"C'mon love, it's going to be fine. I'll be back later," she said softly.

The boy's bottom lip jutted out, and his eyes filled with tears again.

"Alright, Felix, say bye to mummy, she'll be back soon." The teacher placed a hand on the boy's shoulder.

Felix sniffed and rubbed his tear-stained cheeks, taking a deep breath. He stood straight, his little fists clasped by his sides. "Bye-bye, Mum."

His mother smiled as her son waved to her, "That's my strong son, see you later, Yongbokie. Mummy loves you."

Class started, and Felix slunked away into the corner. By the time break rolled around, the boy was all alone. He was thinking of saying he was sick to go home when a boy with a massive dimpled smile showed up.

"I'm Christopher!" he introduced himself enthusiastically. "The teacher says you're Korean, just like me. My Korean name is Chan." He patted his chest proudly, and Felix responded.

"Mine's Yongbok, I wanna dye my hair orange."

Chan giggled and fluffed up the other's hair, "Woah cool, I wanna make songs for the Wiggles."

"Woah! I love the wiggles!"

"Really, let's be best friends!"

"Okay, do you wanna play outside?"

"Yesh, let's go!"

Around twenty minutes later, the two boys flopped tiredly onto the grass.

"So we're best friends?" Felix asked, having come completely out of his shell.

"Yep," Chan extended his hand, "pinky promise?"

The two wrapped their pinkies together, all serious-like, as if sealing some sort of important agreement.

"This means we're besties forever and ever and ever."

Throughout the early years of primary school, Chan and Felix were inseparable. Coming into middle school in Australia was when things took a turn for the worse. Felix's dad was in a car crash, and he died. Felix was crushed, and Chan did everything he could to help him mend, but Felix only fell deeper into the hollowing pit of depression.

Felix avoided others like the plague. He kept his feelings to himself. The depression was eating him inside out. Chan followed him around everywhere, hugging him at every chance given. The hugs and moments the two shared were what kept Felix going.

When the two entered high school, things started getting better. Chan and Felix got seriously into music, Chan produced songs, and Felix danced to them. Music and exams kept Felix's mind off his father, and soon enough, he finally learned to accept the death and move on. And boy, was Chan glad about that.

i fucking hate the wiggles