Chapter Eight. Lorna Plants

Year E3029

Year E3029

Ocea

As I watched the bright green clouds float by, a loud thud had me up and crawling to the edge of the roof. I peeked over the lava rock wall to see Thomas throwing away a garbage bag and checking his phone.

His head looked around quickly, and then he dashed inside. It was odd to see someone with a phone. The MOS doesn't allow cell phones among the chipped, but some would sneak them when they can. Knowing this had me smiling at the fact that Thomas wasn't listening to the Men Of Suits.

I could hear Thomas below talking to a woman. "Hey, I am out of here." His voice got louder as he neared the back door again. "See you later," he said, while slamming the door shut.

He looked up and down the alley, then took off jogging away from the store. I glanced across the city to see the pink sun on the horizon. The green clouds turned a grey and orange color. I slowly crawled my way off the roof, heading toward Thomas.

Between the tall buildings in the dark shadows, I kept my distance. I needed to make sure Thomas didn't catch me following his tail. My head was down as I watched my feet. The couple in front of me stopped at a shop as I ducked behind another man. With my eyes still on Thomas, I watched him scan the street and enter a shop.

The rain poured down, soaking up my hair. My shoes stomped in the quickly made puddles. I ran up to the shop, looking at the neon sign and reading it simultaneously as someone behind me.

"The Night Owl."

I looked over my shoulder to see Wyatt glancing up at the sign. His eyes then looked at me as he gave me a face of not knowing what this shop was.

"Oh, man!" I heard Stopper's voice echo around. "This place is dope."

"What?" I questioned him as he walked up with a skip in his step. He brushed back his green hair, then smiled while waving at a young woman walking by us, flirting with everything.

"It's a secret club," Dylan's voice chimed behind me. I spun around to see him leaning against the wall next to the front door. He shook his head, springing water from his hat.

Stop wrapped his arms around my shoulders, talking in my ear. "There's only one reason for him to be here." He laughed. "Alcohol and ass."

Dylan pushed off the wall, walking closer to us. "Actually, no." He pulled off his baseball cap, showing off the dyed red hair underneath. "The bartender here is a cyber hacker, so tons come here to speak to him too."

Wyatt stepped up to us, opening the door. "Either way, we need to go in," he said while waving for me to walk through.

As I strolled past a wall of smoke, the place darkened as dim pink lights only lit up the counter at the front of the shop. A young safforian glanced up at us with an attitude. The female played with her bright yellow hair while popping the gum in her mouth.