Short Morning

The next day started out as expected. Thoma was cleaning, Ayaka was talking/helping Ayato, who seemed better, and Arataki Itto was his usual happy self as he was walking around Chinju Forest. Probably a morning walk for himself. 

I was tempted to join him, but I beleived I needed to keep my distance to avoid any trouble with Ayato again. So I sat in the courtyard. No letters came or were asked to be delivered, so I just sat on the same stone bench from yesterday and traveled through my mind.

I was also waiting for Ayaka to come. We agreed to talk with Chisato today so I was doing my best to be patient and not take anything in my hands like usual.

Time passed and Itto finished his stroll. His arms were raised and behind his back, his cheeky grin and neat hair showed that I was right, and he was himself. But my spine still chilled when he sat next to me.

I couldn't tell him what happened yesterday between me and Ayato, so I just gave a small smile and tried to continue zoning. But he didn't know that and started a conversation.

"Morning, y/n." He laughed. "You seem tired."

"I am. You?"

"Never! At least not today."

He gave me a bit of a smile on my face. Not a friendly one, but a humorous smile. I'm glad he's himself, but I'm also worried because I didn't want to ruin anything so soon.

"Oh! I came across one of the Arataki Gang members!"

"Really?"

He nodded. "Except for Kuki Shinobu. I wonder how she's doing..." His expression changed. He became more nervous and worried.

"Who's Kuki Shinobu?"

"She's a member too. My deputy. If she learns where I am, I'm screwed."

I was confused. "Why?"

A panicked expression replaced his previous one. "She doesn't like it when I keep secrets from her. If I do, she thinks something's up..."

I snickered, amused. "I didn't think anything scared you."

That got his pride rising and he stood up straight and flustered, slightly annoyed. "Nothing scares me! Not even Kuki! She's my deputy. She should be scared of me!" He soon realized what he said and slouched a bit. "But she also helps me get out of prison. And takes care of Ushi for me. And practically does the more serious things. BUT THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT."

Just like Itto, my face shifted into something else. Confused. "If she helps you get out of trouble, why didn't you ask her for help rather than Ayato?"

"Uh... that's... complicated..." His crossed arms became tight and it got awkward.

"I wouldn't ask anymore... Except, where's that gang member now?"

He shrugged. "I told him to go tell the others. So I'm not too worried."

"Except for Shinobou."

We laughed, and Ayaka came outside. She rushed to me. "Or good, I was looking for you." She glanced at Itto and went back to me. "We should get going now." Referring to Hiijora Chisato

I nodded. But the oni was curious. "Go where?"

"We're going to Inazuma City. Just for a small walk and talk." Ayaka smiled, prepared. "Girl stuff."

Arataki Itto shook his head an okay. "You two have fun then." He stood up and stretched. "I'm going to the beach."

"Oh please be careful this time. Ayato is in no mood for another accident thanks to the beach." I agreed and he gave a thumbs up before walking away, cheerfully.

Ayaka took my hand and brought me back to my feet. "Now shall we?" She said it in a very fancy voice. She was in a playful mood so I followed along.

"We shall, m'lady."

We laughed, but deep down in both of us. This cheery moment wasn't gonna last too long.