Letting go and holding on.

Me and Ayaka knock on the door. A tall young lady opened it. It wasn't Shinobu, but her older sister. She wore her custom kimono and held a soft smile.

"Hello, Lady Ayaka, and... Lady Ayaka's friend. Are you here for my sister?" She had a calm and sweet voice, one of an angel truly.

Ayaka nodded, as did I. Then she spoke. "We are here to talk about Arataki Itto's case. It seems things aren't going as they should be and we believe, since Shinobu is well experienced in these sorts of issues, we would like to talk to her."

A sigh arose onto the Shrine Maiden's face. "Unfortunately, she is in no mood to talk. To anyone."

"Can she reconsider?" I asked, sounding helpless. I wanted to help but I wanted it to happen quickly. I need to get back to my duties. Who knows what Ayato is doing right now.

"I'll talk with her." She closed the door and left me and  M'lady alone at the front door.

"Do you think this will work out?" I ask, looking at my feet, as well as her's. I never realized how beautiful her shoes were and how bland mine seemed. Perks of not being rich.

"I hope it'll work out..." She was quiet, waiting for the door to open again.

And it did. She came out with a nod. "She said only Lady Ayaka can come in." She looked at me. "She doesn't know you so..."

Slightly disappointed, I nod. "I understand."

Ayaka then looked at me. "Go back to the estate. Maybe Thoma or my brother need you."

I think. "Maybe..." I was alright with helping Thoma, but Ayato was a different story. Maybe I can talk with Itto? But again... Ayato...

We both said goodbye and I headed back to the estate. I was thinking about everything that happened today. Morning with Itto, the suspicious chat with the Kanjou Commissioner, the also suspicious attack from the fatui, chat with Ayaka on sword fighting training, the Arataki gang, and then Shinobu's sister. 

So much and I started to worry if the others were worrying where we were. But when I arrived, everything seemed normal. Except the fact Ayato was standing in the court, talking with Thoma and some guards.

I tried to pass through without being noticed, but he saw me the moment I stepped in. He said a quick "talk to you later" to the others and snuck behind me, giving me a hug.

Startled, he wrapped his arms around my waist and smiled. "Welcome back, y/n. I didn't see you in the morning."

I turned and moved my head to see his face. He seemed normal, his expression happy but still calm. His vibe felt like his regular and pre-"tea party" aura.

"I went with Ayaka to go have a chat with the Kanjou Commissioner. A small... investigation I guess most will call it." I smiled, trying to behave normally. Something deep inside was scared to make any wrong moves, so I pretended him hugging me wasn't weird.

But that hug lasted not much longer and he changed into a different position, resting his arm on my shoulders and his head onto my higher part of my back.

My face flustered and I took small and long breaths in and out. Going back and forth from panicking to calming myself down.

"Well, while you were absent, I caught up to all my work. Two days off due to the minor 'innocent.'" He snuggled his face into me, causing me to straighten my back a bit.

"That's good." I smiled. "Do I have anything to deliver? I can't really be the Yashiro Commission's messenger without many letters to deliver?"

He sighed. "Unfortunately, no. But I'll try my best to get you some." Finally, he released my body, but proceeded to hold both of my hands in front of me. "So, would you like to spend the rest of the day with me?" 

"I-" I looked around and saw Arataki Itto walking in. "Itto!" Despite how risky it was to acknowledge him, I wanted to get out of this situation. But I pray Ayato didn't still have a grudge over him.

"Y/n! Ayato Bro!" He laughed, like himself. The oni is easy to let by an argument and continues to be best friends. What a guy.

He walked up to us and grabbed both of our shoulders, closing each other into another hug, a side hug though. So it wasn't that bad.

I laughed a bit, feeling his bright expression pass through me. But Ayato seemed a little less happy and a bit more cold. He still held a smile, but knowing him for a long time, I knew he still held something against Itto.

But I can't exactly put my finger on it exactly.