Prologue

We entered the ballroom of the venue, I was amazed by the crystal chandelier dangling from above my head. My sister, Zoe, looked over at me, with an accomplished grin, "I think this is the one",  she excitedly admits. It felt as if it was out of a Disney movie, which is exactly what my sister has dreamed of since she was little. I softly smile back at her whilst reminiscing on the moments we shared planning each others dream weddings when we were little.

My older sister Zoe is getting married in June, Jack her fiancé has never had a strong suit in organising events so as the Maid of Honour I've been dragged into the wedding planning alongside my Mother. My mom has dreamed of this day since my sister was born, I have always liked the idea of getting married but only when the time is right.

I have to admit this isn't the idea I had of spending my Saturday morning. I have reports due by Monday morning to my boss that are in need of serious attention. I'm currently working in a admin job for a local lawyer firm down the road from my apartment. It's not the workplace I'd dream of but it'll have to do for now to maintain a roof over my head.

After looking at wedding venues with Zoe, I meet my best friend Charlie for our usual weekend coffee date to keep in touch. We have both been so busy after graduating college and our new career paths we have found it hard to make time for each other. I search through the busy coffee shop and find her in our usual booth, with her usual coffee AND her usual one night stand she seems to always tag along.

She seems to feel obligated to invite them which I can't understand.I would say something about how uncomfortable it feels to turn up to a new stranger each week, but it's how she is coping with her recent breakup, might I say NOT so recent. It's been 6 months. You would probably think she would be over it to some degree by now, yet here we are.

I approach the booth, giving an awkward wave to the newest addition of Charlie's number of bodies. Charlie gives me a warm grin and a welcoming hug.

It's become a tradition to meet up and have a fresh cup of coffee since the day we graduated. Charlie has always been interested in the media industry and was given a talent agent position in Los Angeles about a year ago. She has always thrived in projects she sets her mind to, and has done since her first day.

I'm so proud of how far she has come, all the sacrifices she has made to get where she is. Although I'm so proud of what she does and how she has come about it, Charlie has never understood my dreams and interests since day one. It doesn't bother me as I don't do it for her, I love what I do.

I've always been a bit intrigued by all different languages, I'm fluent in Spanish, French, Italian, Mandarin and German.

My dream is to work for the United Nations in New York, I mean who hasn't dreamed of living in New York to begin with but to do what I love as a career just excites me.

We begin the topic of my sister's wedding and how Charlie is my plus one. We would do anything for each other, even plus one each other to different events.

"While on the topic of the wedding...you do realise Tom is the best man?". Tom is Charlie's ex-boyfriend. I never enjoyed Tom's company. But that never got in the way of how I viewed them as a couple. They seemed perfect for each other. At least that was what I thought. After their breakup Charlie never told me the real reason to why they broke up. It was always "we were just too different" or "we just have different plans for our futures". Honestly It didn't bother me, Charlie is my best friend and all my job was to support her during her tough time.

The surprised look I then received told me otherwise.

"You're joking right?" She then replied.

"No, actually", I awkwardly take another sip of my coffee.

We quickly changed the subject of conversation before we wrapped up our coffee date on an awkward note, but I'm not too phased.

I run some errands before heading home to my boyfriend of 2 years, Johnny. We met in our senior year of college and been with each other through thick and thin. We dream to move in together soon after his new product launch is complete. Johnny works in marketing and has got a big brand to work with him, he has been working so hard to make it work.

So many people around me are onto new things yet I'm still trying to build myself up. I feel so behind. I constantly feel like everyone is accomplishing their dreams yet I'm barely getting started. I still have hope though.... maybe?